Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing resources with parents

Hi

I am looking to putting together some chatter bags for key persons to share with their families. The objective is to encourage parents to talk,sing,play and read to their child in particular those with speech dev delays!

Can any of you lovely people either point me in the right direction or share any tips you have done with your families please :D

Andrea

We just have zip-lock bags (the food ones) which we make up various little packs depending on the child's needs -

... and I'm going to be totally honest here.... depending on whether or not the parent is likely to return items does highly influence what might go in it too..!! :1b

Things have included - scissors and a cutting activity, books, games, threading etc. Anything really that can be made into a 'bag sized' activity really.

• Like 1

Mmm I hadn't thought bout not getting them back! Doh!! Was thinking nursery rhyme sheets or children's favourite stories with perhaps relevant puppets/resources. We also have DVDs with tips for promoting lang but wondered if parents would even bother to look at them? Have any one had experience of sharing resources with CLD in mind?

We rarely send anything home now in terms of resources as we never got anything back, sad I know :-( Instead we send out ideas sheets, share songs we are doing, suggest things they could do alongside themes (Recently the older children created a 'rockery' so we suggested parents may like to visit a garden centre or look at plants around the neighbourhood - many did and told us which was lovely!) We also make little sounds books so they can take them home and stick things in, draw pics, siblings/parents/grandparents etc can write things they find on each page beginning with that sound. Some come back regularly with loads in, some we never see again but they are just homemade folded up paper with a coloured cover so it really doesn't matter x

• Like 1

We have a weekly book club, each child chooses a book, shares it at home for a week then returns and exchanges for another.

We do lose a few along the way, but with a huge stock of books the experience far outweighs the small loss.

We have a sheet that accompanies the book for children and parents to draw, or comment on the book.

We have also given out puzzles, sound games in the past depending on the support required.:)

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

We did send ECAT bags home and our own activity bags however so many things went missing we decided not to send them anymore. We just send a sheet like Woodlands does now .

We have made storysacks to send home and I laminated a sheet listing every item in the bag! It is checked when it comes back (usually by a helpful student!) and then sent out again.

I also laminated a sheet with the bag saying parents were responsible for the items etc and laid it on thick that it wouldnt be much fun for the next family if a vital prop was missing! So far, we have been really fortunate.

Easy bags to start up are 'The tiger who came to tea' and 'I know and old lady who swallowed a fly'. I got all the props from charity shops - mostly soft toys and a couple of jigsaws and relevant non fiction books. Also printed off some colouring sheets and domino cards, easily googled and easily replaced!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)