Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

This one's going down as a bad day!

Hi,

So today while speaking to a parent about how an incident that happened on Friday had been put on Facebook and how parents had not only called a 3 year old a bully but also stated that we don't know what's going on, a child slipped past my TA to run back to her mum outside! Feel awful. Not sure how to deal with it all, my head about to explode! Any advice/suggestions/critism even welcome!

Green Hippo x

I've had a really bad day too... On the brink of jacking it all in! I'm just not super women... To much to do and no time to do it!! :(

Ah hugs to you both.:)xx

Facebook is the bane of our lives I'm afraid .

With all your risk assessments in place sometimes something still occurs that you are not expecting.

I would note down the incident and any further actions identified to minimise the risk of it happening again.

I would also talk to the children at group time about staying safe etc.

Crystal balls are a wonderful thing but alas we don't have them.:)

• Like 3

child following parent out unnoticed happened to us too. i think it happens a lot, but people don't say. we altered procedure to show we had dealt with it and learnt from it. our parents realise it is hard with little ones and were very good. we sent letter home reminding them not to talk to adult on door, as they are there to ensure no one follows parent out. and spoke to class too to remind.

facebook - get head involved. it's a nightmare and one or two parents can wreak a lot of havoc... tomorrow will be a better day. take care x

Thanks lovely people!

The HT is involved and is furious as we've had a couple of other similar incidents concerning older children in the school. Fortunately, it has been removed from facebook and HT is sending a letter out to remind parents of the dangers of putting things on social media. It just disappoints me that the parents didn't or couldn't put themselves in the shoes of the parent of the 'offender'. That poor parent has to bring her child to school tomorrow and face the other parents, poor lady. I deal with a number a friendship/sharing issues on a daily basis but deal with it in school and move on unless, like in this case, it was a more severe incident or a child repeatedly hurting or being unkind in anyway. I think it can be detrimental to report to the parents every little thing that a child has done everyday. These are young children and they are learning how to be sociable! Please let me know if you do different.

As for the 'runner', it has happened in Reception before and the parents were fine. This child is very clingy to mum but as soon as I take her hand she is ABSOLUTELY FINE. It is all for mum. Just today of course, I wasn't on hand to take the child's hand. I have ensured that an extra member of staff will be available to be near the door. There are only 2 of us normally so it's difficult to speak to parents while making sure children are safe but we've done ok so far! It's affected me more today though because what has been said - it's more fuel for their fire!

Sorry to hear you've had a bad day too, Lisiloo x

Green Hippo x

We don't report every little thing to parents either, only if it's severe or repeated behaviour - we also stress to parents that things are dealt with here there and then as some will punish their children later for something done hours earlier at nursery that has already been sorted. Obviously if it's continuous and we are working with parents then yes but otherwise I personally don't think it's fair that children get a hard time from parents at the end of the day over something not very significant! Hope it all sorts for you, not a nice situation to be in! Lisiloo I'm sure things will seem better in the morning - chin up ?

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)