Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Smoking?

mrsbat

We are interviewing for new staff at the moment and although it shouldn't be such an issue for me I'm wondering what I will say to an applicant who smokes..... Our policy states that staff are not to smoke on the premises, not to come to work in clothes that have been in/around smoke and not to take learning stories into a smoky atmosphere (at home obviously) but I would also prefer that staff do not smoke at work at all even if they go outside because they would have to go out the front which is in full view of houses, road, path etc and I just don't think it would promote the right image - does that make sense?

This all sounds like I am really against smokers but just around children I don't think it is right....

Sorry for rambling I guess what I am asking is....... is it in our rights to say no smoking during work hours......??

Tough this one but I would say no that during a break time it is staffs time and they providing are not on premise then I think then you have to.

Especially if staff work all day

I live almost opposite a daycare nursery (2 houses converted) that up until recently their staff (in uniform) were often to be seen wandering up and down my road or sitting on walls smoking, almost without exception these were young girls- anyway my point was when my daughter started looking for daycare for her baby the first thing she said was- that neither her or her partner wanted to look at it because of the staff smoking. This was coming from someone who is a 'social smoker' but he says- he never smokes when he knows he is going to be in contact with the baby for at least 4/5 hours and he wasn't going to pay someone else to! Having said that in the last few months I haven't seen anyone from there smoking - so either they have clamped down on it or they no longer have smokers working for them.

I think that if staff are off the premises then you probably cannot dictate what they do- although I suppose if in uniform then that is different. However if they come back in smelling of smoke then I would imagine that would make them unfit for work? or would it?

Edited by lynned55

I read some research that talked about how long smoker exhale undesirable substances after smoking. It was up to an hour I think so it seems reasonable to say no smoking during short breaks and only at the very beginning of lunch breaks if they are an hour.

You would also be reasonable to ask them to change their clothes so they are not bringing toxic substances back into the setting on the fabric.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)