Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Notifying OFSTED - fracture

Hi everyone,

We unfortunately had an incident at pre-school last week where a child broke her arm.. I've done the necessary notification to OFSTED but they have now e:mailed asking for the child's full name and date of birth.

Has anyone else had this? Somehow, I just feel funny about disclosing this personal information.....

Any advice?

Thank you!!

I had just this a couple of years ago. Before I gave them the details, I spoke to Mum and explained that they might call her as they might want to check out the story we had given - emphasising they were checking our care of the child. She was fine with it. I don't thing they did call her.

Good luck

Haven't had one yet, but I do now remember that I had a phone call to ask a couple of questions and one of them was whether the parents had any concerns about our care. Fortunately they did not and simply said the child had been doing something silly - in this case standing on a chair when we were telling him not too. He jumped off, slipped as he landed and had a very nasty break in his upper arm with the bone tying to push against the inside of his skin and threatening to pierce it. One of my practitioners had to hold it absolutely still for about 3/4 hour as she knelt on the floor (her legs were totally numb by the time the paramedics said she could let go!

Also when I reported it I had given a great deal of detail of the circumstances of the accident and our actions in phoning for ambulance, first aid etc. I don't know if that helped to satisfy them.

Sorry I can't remember the exact details when we had a child break their elbow, I know we contacted ofsted and did a riddor report but can't remember the parents or us being contacted again after we did all that! I do know though that it definitely didn't trigger an inspection :-)

Guest sn0wdr0p

We had an out of school child who dropped from the monkey bars ( 7 inches)fell forward putting his arms out and broke his wrist. We reported it and two days later a health and safety inspector came. She was pretty thorough and went through everything H & S related including COSHH etc. No concerns at the end of it fortunatley. Be prepared with all your paperwork.

We had a child break her foot last June, reported to Ofsted, RIDDOR, and local authority.

We did give ofsted the full child's details, I think they always ask for this, perhaps it's to match it up with information from other sources.

Our accident did result in a full inspection last October, but that might be because the parents were encouraged by the hospital to complain to Ofsted because "children shouldn't have accidents at nursery"

It was all fine in the end thought, parents happy, child still with us, good ofsted outcome - just rather stressful period of waiting and not knowing

Our accident did result in a full inspection last October, but that might be because the parents were encouraged by the hospital to complain to Ofsted because "children shouldn't have accidents at nursery"

You'd think, of all places, a hospital should know that children can and will have accidents anywhere, no matter how safe the environment or how vigilant we are! :o

Oh crikey poor you! The hospital told the parents of our child that accidents happen and they didn't see anything to worry about - the child had to have their elbow pinned as well so not just a fracture. It's probably like anything - depends who they saw at the hospital as to how they advise!

• 2 years later...

Not come across that before with Ofsted..

I would do a risk assessment of the setting to identify anything that might be a problem area, eg loads of children elbowing at the sand tray, and check with parents if she is going to need help/support with anything, need pain relief, etc and get them to sign any paperwork to acknowledge what you have put in place. I guess she will have been seem by the fracture clinic to check it is healing OK - if not, maybe parents should ask at clinic if there is anything you need to do?

We had a child fracture a cheekbone at home, and really just had to monitor during group activities for a few weeks to make sure there was no chance of it being knocked again.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)