Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you believe in fate?

I am sat here musing about the impending closure of my nursery after 22 years, not sad or upset just a little melancholy, thinking about all the children who have passed through my door. When I started trading all those years ago I had no idea that this job would become such a big part of who I am and the decision to close has happened really quickly so I have not had much time to sit and think. The point of my question in the title is because when I opened my doors in 1992, I said to my co worker at the time 'I'm not doing this forever, the minute a child comes back through that door with a child of her own I'm giving up!' As I sit here writing a very difficult letter to my parents informing them of my decision, I realise that two of them are indeed ex pupils from when I first opened. Is this a self fulfilling prophecy or just a co incidence? Is that the reason that I am finding it all so easy to give up?

Well Max, I said exactly the same thing when I took up the reins. I too will give up next year I think, my grand daughter to finish here first, and yes she is the real catalyst here, her dad used to come to this pre school before I became involved.

I think there is a time to come to an end, especially as our own needs alter, it is only right and proper. What saddens me is when groups close because of influences beyond our control.

We should have a new forum area for ex owners supervisors or who ever to chat and reminisce with!

• Like 1

:( oh Max - I feel a bit melancholy on reading your post........but at the same time a teensy bit envious - envious because I don't know if I will ever be able to 'let go' with 'ease'.......

I have 'children of children' - but I would have, I live in the smallest of villages and it's the sort of place where people chose to stay if they can.......I actually love having 'children of children' - what amazing continuity (I always think too - phew can't have traumatised them too much then :rolleyes: )

I have considered cutting my sessions worked to 4 from September - but know that I probably won't really do that :blink:

Anyway - sorry - in answer to your question - yes I do, absolutely believe in fate!

Good luck with whatever you do next Max! :1b

I have the best new job to go to, still working with little people but no maintenance responsibilities, no payroll, no accounts, no laundry, no late nights/early mornings catching up, no ICT, no HR, no budgeting, no food shopping, no invoices, no policy writing, no deep cleaning weekends, no trips to the tip, no EYE paperwork, just what I do best, feeding young minds. Half the money, twice the life. Now who is envious?

I have the best new job to go to, still working with little people but no maintenance responsibilities, no payroll, no accounts, no laundry, no late nights/early mornings catching up, no ICT, no HR, no budgeting, no food shopping, no invoices, no policy writing, no deep cleaning weekends, no trips to the tip, no EYE paperwork, just what I do best, feeding young minds. Half the money, twice the life. Now who is envious?

sounds wonderful - details please!

going back to being a nursery nurse sunnyday, working in an outstanding nursery with a young team in a lovely home from home babyroom (never worked with babies so a whole new challenge for me), its feels so right its almost painful, just got to clear 22 years worth of equipment and 'stuff' from my existing setting and I will be ready for my new start

going back to being a nursery nurse sunnyday, working in an outstanding nursery with a young team in a lovely home from home babyroom (never worked with babies so a whole new challenge for me), its feels so right its almost painful, just got to clear 22 years worth of equipment and 'stuff' from my existing setting and I will be ready for my new start

Lovely! :1b

yes .. fate has a hand in lots of things..

you had all the changes line up at th3 correct time for you.. and are happy with it all..

when I finished it all fell into place easily and was the right thing at the right time.. has been the same for all our family.. right place right time and it felt so right when son ended up in Australia.. he did not seek it out.. but happened so fast and was the right thing for him to do..

Enjoy the next phase.. sounds like a big change but worth it..