Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activities to meet next steps

I know this sounds a little bit strange

Do you plan a next steps for all your key children each week? (our children dont attend everyday)

Once you have identified next steps for a child for the week .... thought of an activity... Do you do 1 activity per child and does this just happen at some point during the week?

Does the kp do the activity during child initiated play or at a planned keyperson time?

Do you then write this on a planning sheet somewhere or?

We have continuous provision we seem to be writing for England! Sorry Ive getting in a pickle and seem to be creating more and more forms yet I am trying to reduce the amount of paperwork I do!

I cant sleep thinking about all this its so simple but cant seem to get it down on paper, would appreciate some advice please.

• Like 1

We've just flagged this at playgroup. I don't have key children so never know who would benefit from a particular activity unless I'm specifically told. I'm trying to get the planning sheet to include at least a few key children each week. I figure most will benefit anyway but I'd like to know who I should focus on. I know someone will be along in a bit with fab advice :)

I have two or three next steps per child per term...... These I share with the parents termly in an attempt at working together.

However if I saw something and I specifically felt a next step note was needed I would just write that in on the observation or nearby as a reminder

Maybe you are over thinking things? Mind you I could be under thinking it I suppose!

I believe early years folks carry a lot of info in their heads and would automatically plan for what they felt the child needed for next steps...... For instance we have a child with very sensory needs and we all know those needs and when we are setting up the provision we know to offer differing opportunities so that she can pursue this area of development.

Not sure how much sense that made but I know what I mean!

Hopefully someone with a better way of saying it will be along shortly!

Hi i would not expect a next step to generally be achieved within a week.

But over a period of time to ensure they are secure in it before moving them on.

I think it's really important to know its not a race to the finishing line or a tick list.

Personally I think it's more about the KP having a real understanding of child development and knowing their children well.

Building on the things that their children already do well, enhancing and supporting when required.

So for instance counting objects in many situations ie: snack time, climbing steps, playing with shells, singing rhymes with props, etc enables you to make a more informed assessment of where a child might be.

I think we all worry about planning at some time or another, but it has to work for you and your unique setting.

Hope this helps.:)

• Like 1

we have next steps for every child every two weeks (these are then reviewed and can be repeated if needed) we dont link these to an ;activity though.....there are potential activities we might do but the activity is not the point....the development is. Every member of staff has a list of all the next steps for all the children ....so it doesn't matter where they are or what they are doing they know what the next steps are and can work with all the children. observations are then taken when the next steps are being done

We are very similar to scarlettangel but do it half termly. As said before as well, if anything stands out would put this on the planning sheet to look at the next week! We used to do a key point each week and then a next step but it didn't work for is I practice. You cant always get a good key point and next step and definitely can't 'achieve' a next step with a week!

All our key people, up date their key child's next steps as and when they are ready,sometimes half termly or termly. New next steps are not set until that child is completely secure and confident. All my key workers have a sheet of a4 with their key children on, their next steps, areas of learning, their actual age range they should be working at and the age they are working at stating emerging, working within or secure.

Hope this all makes sense!!

At the end of the day we are all different settings and have different ethos.

Good luck :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)