Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bird Bath

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

Couple of weeks ago sat in the lounge enjoying the peace and quiet after the boys had left for school and with horror realised I could hear mice upstairs. I crept up to locate them and followed the sound to my lovely new bathroom (we had to manage without a bathroom for over a year as my husband fitted the new one) which was finished for Christmas (or else I was leaving him). 11pm precisely on Christmas Eve it was finished.

I phoned my husband who said it was my imagination as usual. A couple of days later heard it again but this time was sure I could hear chirruping. Once again laughed at and this continued for a number of days. Until eldest came down one day and claimed to have heard birds under the bath. We looked outside and discovered that pipes had been moved and new holes drilled and old holes NOT BLOCKED UP.

Husband said he would investigate-still waiting. Today loads of tiny chirruping for what is clearly a number of babies in a nest under the bath so now we can't do anything until they fly away.Fortunately it is a pretty solid bath side (not one of those wobbly plastic ones) and his sealed all round.

Not being in tune with nature or an animal lover can anyone give me an idea of how long I will have to wait until the side can be taken off, under the bath cleaned and the hole filled in?

Ten year old has just had a bath and loved it. (Can't usually get him in without a fight or the potatoes growing behind his ears are harvested) Couldn't get him out. Cleanest he has been for ages.

Hmm, you could be waiting a long time. If the birds are happy there, they will use the nest again.............and if it's a good summer, maybe even a third time. Then you need to act fast. When you are sure they have gone, get the holes sealed up ............our local pub ( next door to our setting) has a small hole in the outer wall and CROWS use it, time after time......you would be astonished at the nesting material they get in there ( so you also need to get hubby to take the side off the bath to clear away all nesting materials, as they are also breeding grounds for bugs, fleas etc)..............good luck :)

Crikey! :o

Yes, agree with narnia - as soon as you haven't heard them - get rid of the nest and fill in those holes..........youngest son had jackdaws using his chimney last year - was awful - baby bird sounds coming through his wood burner - then got worse - nest started to fall down the chimney.......need I go on....... :blink:

Hasten to add - they didn't light the fire :o just in case that was what anyone was thinking.......

Guest sn0wdr0p

The birds are getting VERY NOISY. We have to keep the bathroom door closed to try and get some peace. Hubby said he will take the nest out but I can't allow that. It was an early start today for them - and us.