Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Girl

Hello to everyone, I'm new to the forum and have been debating whether to subscribe. Ive just begun a stint in nursery covering the teacher for the subject of 'designing and making' which needs to be linked to Autumn or the topic of 'golden days'. She hasn't given me a great deal of guidance and I really want to make a go of something fun. Any ideas??

Welcome from me too, Rach. Making hedgehogs with salt dough is always fun. Can either use scissors to snip across the back to make spines, or stick short lengths of straws in.

What about making a eucalptus twig tree, although I am not too sure whether the eucalptus oil can be used with children please check - get some broken twigs, nice shaped ones with a few little branches - children to cut or tear green shaped tissue leaves then pva glue them onto the twigs and drop eucalptus oil on to them or some other oil. They last for months, parents love them, they make the place smell great, the display looks great and they are three dimensional and cost next to nothing.

Or you could use twigs, intertwine them so that they make a circle, oval or whatever you can, made need to tape them together, then children to cover with tissue paper, children to perhaps cut out a black silouette of a tree, sitck onto the tissue paper and hang in a window to create an autumn type tree - no leaves. Can be a bit fiddly but you could improvise and just make round circles with the middle cut out for tissue paper and then put the tree on.

Leaf printing and tree rubbing, finger painted trees different seasons,

can't think of anything else now but will try and put someting up if I remember.

Nikki

Put some branches in the outdoor play area, add some fuit boxes or suchlike and let the chidlren make dens. mine loved this and designed (made) all sorts of strcutures. they have been outside for two weeks and it was interesting to see how thier dens improved in the ay they were made- making them more secure and mor of a shelter- lots of talk and tremendous fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Do your children have access to a photocopier? Ours went outdoors and collected leaves, they then took a photo copy of their leaf, they then glued the leaf next to the photocopy ( and amazingly most placed their leaf alongside the photocopy in the same position - if you know what I mean). Adult role was to talk about how they made their photocopy and sribed their comments onto the page. These were then laminated ( by the children) and made a wonderful display.

Peggy

p.s. set the photocopy to very light and it shows all the veins on the leaf.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)