Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spiders

We weaved our own web using string and cuphooks on a side of a wooden shed panel. If you google weaving spiders webs with string it should come up. it was really easy to do and on a large scale looked really effective. We talked about shapes and environments and then used to web to make our own spiders over time - it became a real talking point with the children and they used it during role play in the garden. In fact, they even rigged up one of our water drain pipes next to it for 'Incy Wincy' and this started a whole new game.

A friend of mine in a packaway setting had to move a piano because the children saw a spider crawling underneath. This lead to talk about forces - pushing and pulling, light- why had the spider chosen to hide under the piano, weight- how heavy the piano was to move.

I am lucky to have a chain link fence guarding the boundary of my outdoor area, so we go looking for webs and draw them sometimes the children charge around looking for the biggest web. The discussion then is it a really big spider that made the web or a small spider.

What other sort of home would a spider live in if it didn't have a web, and does the spider really live on the web, and if it doesn't live on the web why does it make a web.

I know a lot of this is discussion but this can lead to other activities.

I created webs using ribbon lacing them in and out of chair and table legs, the children then have to jump over them.

Good luck and enjoy spiders.

if you google spider maths all sorts of things come up!

do your children know the "being a spider is such a lot of fun song?".......talking about the fact that spiders are arachnids and not insects leads to lots of different discussions too. Spiders lend themselves to teaching numbers to 8 and dividing by two to get equal amounts of legs each side. Could you do a 'spider'diagram to find out other things about spiders too ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)