Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Circle Time

Great question!

I feel a little bit the same as you; I know what our problem is though, it's trying to find something that suits the 2.5yrs age difference I have this year.

In an ideal world I would separate my groups but can't due to the fact we only have 30mins to get packed away before the next hall users come in and therefore 2 members of staff have to start to tidy away at Circle Time.

Watch with interest :1b

we have a mixed group of age 2-rising 5's. Our circle times are quite active, sticky kids, action songs, hopping ,jumping etc., circle games e.g farmers in his den, walking in the jungle , ball games, parashute followed by sign a long songs and a role play story.

Hello, I would love to know if any of you have any interesting imaginative ideas for Circle Time, as at the moment I feel it is a little mundane and I would like to feel that the children are having fun therefore more engaged.

I could give you a 'list' of things that we do.........but.........I think my best advice would be - keep 'circle' times short and sweet and perhaps more importantly keep your own 'energy up' - if the children see that you're 'having fun' they almost certainly will too! :1b

• Like 1

we invested last year in some finger puppets. we have puppies, spiders and caterpillars!! They have been a huge hit and wonderful for engaging our younger children.

We have found they have been particularly helpful for our reluctant speakers. They seem to gain confidence talking/singing to a puppet than to a group of children.

you will be amazed how many rhymes/songs/dances you can make up with a furry creature!! :P

Today I read Meerkat Mail to the group, then at the end I choose a child to be a postman, we talked about having friends/family that lived far away. The 'postman' delivered numbered envelopes to the other children in the group who held up 'numbered 'doors'.

I love the postman idea :D

We use a song bag - we've put a variety of song prompt items in a bag (spider, frog, potato, horse, monkey, etc) and children take turns to choose an item and think of a song with the item in. Some of our children are 2.5yrs and some 4yrs but they all absolutely love it and always want to do "one more". A lot of the songs involve a bit of 'acting out' e.g. Little Miss Muffet has to sit on his/her tuffet pretending to eat while somebody dangles the spider on a string from behind, then screams and runs back to her place when she sees it. Some songs are fast and slow, some revolve around numbers .... don't need to tell you how much you can learn when you're singing! Some children often ask for the song bag during independent play and re-enact the whole experience between themselves.

We introduce new items regularly - more for our benefit than theirs ;)

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)