Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

30-50M EAD Understands that they can use lines ......

thumperrabbit

We recently went outside with chalks and I told the children that I was going to draw a shape using lines. Then drew a circle - talking about what the lines were doing. I then asked the children "What can I make my circle into?" - the chose "a face". So continued to draw the features for a face - talking as I draw. The children then all went to have a go. They started with circles, then some tried other shapes - regular and irregular. (My focus wasn't on the name of the shape but how I was joining up the lines.) There own drawings were amazing - some children who I thought would need more support as there previous drawings had been just lines or coloured 'blobs' which show a specific shape actually did some of the best drawings!

I have also demonstrated this on Dazzle on the computer - if the lines don't join up then paint spills into the rest of the picture when you click the 'fill' icon!

Green hippo x

• Like 1

I look upon this as the moment when they go from "scribbling" on the page, making random marks or engaging in repetitive mark making where no meaning is offered (like the never ending spiral) to drawings which are made up of separate and deliberate shapes and lines and where children are able to give meaning to "That's my Daddy" as opposed to "That's my picture"

I quite often sit with children and do my own mark making modelling good grip, assisting those who need help with their pencil \ brush grip and sometimes commentating as I draw "I'm drawing a spider today, like the one I saw in the garden. It had a small round body and 8 loooooong legs!" etc... Once they see us talking about what we are doing and giving meaning to our drawings they love to join in.

Mel

x

• Like 1

Understands that they can use lines to enclose a space, and then begin to use these shapes to represent objects

What activities do you provide for this please?

I assess this one as when I see a child who is drawing or painting or maybe even using the meccano and who forms a shape, no matter how irregular that may be, and who goes on to use that form to represent something, by adding further details. So for example, a child today told me he was painting a monster, but just made lots of very random dots of paint on the paper telling me that they were eyes etc. Had he enclosed the whole within a 'body' of some sort, then he would be at that level of understanding, and I could have assessed him as working at that level. Another child first painted an oval and painted hair spikes at the top, two legs from the bottom and three eyes and said it was her monster. She then painted a rectangle above it and said it was a house for the monster, as she added windows and a door. I consider that she has met the objectives of the statement.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)