Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dementia Friends

JacquieL

Not early years related but I know that many of us on here have caring roles with family members with Dementia.

Today I went on an hours Dementia Friends information session run by the Alzheimer's Society. I cannot recommend it highly enough, as it gives a basic understanding of dementia and how to begin to support someone living with this disease. The idea is to make people more dementia aware and to build dementia friendly communities. One in three of us will develop dementia. So please spend a few moments reading about it on:

www.dementiafriends.org.uk

• Like 3

I went on the information afternoon last year. It was informative but at the end we were given so many 'donts' I came out wondering why I'd bothered! All the don'ts related to if we saw someone out and about who seemed unsure/confused, don't do this because you're not trained, don't do that because you're not trained...the next step seemed to be we become information day leaders ourselves.

Edited by Rea

Gosh Rea I don't know who did yours but the training I went on was nothing like that. The Champions have a training guide which doesn't seem to include anything like that, although they do hope that people will take some kind of action afterwards even if it is just passing information on to others or yes, if it suits, training to be a Champion.