Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-school Insurance

Hi

Our renewal for membership with the PLA is due at the end of the month, however, we are slowly moving forward, towards becoming a Community Interest Company as we feel committee run pre-schools are a thing of the past.

It will be much easier if we are no longer with the PLA and adhered to their rules and regulations... but we will need to find independent insurance. Do any of you have suggestions who we might try?

Many thanks x

I have moved from PSLA to Dot2Dot - as well as free legal advise you get some free HR support too. I got quotes from them and from Towergate - both substantially lower than PSLA rates (I have previously used them for the past 9 years). Sadly in this time of cutting back to save money I can't justify membership to the PSLA anymore and we don't have a local branch in my area any more. £90 a year for Under5 magazine just wasn't worth the expense.

Hi

Our renewal for membership with the PLA is due at the end of the month, however, we are slowly moving forward, towards becoming a Community Interest Company as we feel committee run pre-schools are a thing of the past.

It will be much easier if we are no longer with the PLA and adhered to their rules and regulations... but we will need to find independent insurance. Do any of you have suggestions who we might try?

Many thanks x

what 'rules' do you feel you need to follow by staying with psla insurance? their constitution is for committees if you are no longer committee run you will have your own rules or articles in place ....so therefore their insurance is as good as anyone!

as finleysmaid has said... we were members but did not have their constitution or find any 'rules' we had to follow...

we were purely members because after much research, for us, their insurance gave us the best choice and cost in the cover we required...even adding the membership cost into it. Had I found a cheaper insurance I am sure we would have moved... so do check the costs rather than think of them as setting the rules you run by.

If you have adopted their constitution this is the document that needs looking at and changing as this contains the rules and regulations followed by the committee.. and this will probably be different on changing the status of the setting..

I barely have a committee and the ones that are on it aren't remotely interested in adhering to the constitution, let alone changing it, so it has remained. I have had it rewritten to best suit our setting by a solicitor, yet they still haven't adopted it, so we remain with the same one! Hence the rules and regulations that have been in place for years still apply.

Slowly, they are coming around to no longer being a committee, (pretty obvious as there are only 2 member now) but as we still have the old constitution, I feel we are best to come out of it while we change over and then become members again once we are a CIC.