Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ipads for learning journeys

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of using an app on an ipad that can be used by staff and parents to create a learning journey for children that attend stay and play sessions and crèche sessions in a children’s centre?
Everything I can find seems to be aimed just at staff being able to input into it

Thanks

Jess

West Hill Childrens Centre

Wandsworth

have a look at the one developed by this lovely lot at FSF... not used it myself as no longer in a setting but have seen so many good reports about it.. it has parent input and while needing a pc to set up and oversee.. there is an app for both ipad and android to use..

I am sure someone will be along to help with more info if needed, or check the tapestry area in the forum..

http://eyfs.info/tapestry-info/introduction

Hi Jess

I have had discussions with a few CC's in Barnet that are planning to use Tapestry for their Stay & Play children. They liked the idea that even though the children may not be regular visitors to the sessions they could easily show any progress made as and when they did turn up.

They could also encourage parents to contribute to the child's LJ and use those observations to make assessments against.

Hope this helps

Sue

I'm afraid we don't have the resources for telephone support- but do ask here - I'm confident we can answer your questions :1b

If you'd like to discuss more confidential issues, do PM either Steve or me.

How do parents and staff access the learning journeys for each child? Does each file have a user name and password?

I am just thinking if a parent is in a play session and wants to add something about their own child, would they be able to see all the other childrens files who comes to the centre?

Thanks

Hi Westhillcc -

You need to have internet access to access Tapestry. This includes your parents. But viewing a child's learning journey is straightforward once you have this. Each authorised person has their own account with a username and password (this includes parents as well as staff). They can either use a PC or Mac to browse to their account and log in, or they can use either an Android or Apple tablet or smartphone with our apps, which enable easy viewing and uploading of new observations (photos and/or videos, notes etc).

Parents can only see their own children's journals, so once they've logged in the system knows which child to show them. They can then add to the journal with their own observations, or can reply to observations uploaded by staff. This is a good way of developing relationships with parents, as you can both discuss the activities the child is observed in.

Hope that helps! :1b

• 4 months later...

hi i am thinking of implementing tapestry in our setting.

i was wondering how large settings cope with adding pictures and making the links during there working day, or do staff also make entries at home also?

as we are a large setting and have up to 24 children a day and see over 55 different children a week.

so i think we would ned more than one tablet?

thank you claire

We have been using mainly cameras and I take the under 2's photos and the other manager takes the 3-4's to sort and upload at the end of the week. My staff then have learning journey time the following week to write obs.

Over the last couple of weeks we have been trailing using an ipad to take and upload photos in the baby room and it has been going well (plus it's saving all my photo sorting as they were taking 10 photos of one activity) so i'm considering getting ipods for each room (we have 5 rooms; about 120 children a day and over 200 on roll!) They are finding it quite easy to get the obs uploaded while in the room.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone work at or know of a Children's Centre using Tapestry in the Surrey area? I would love to talk/ visit a centre to see it in action.

Thanks, Natalie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)