Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Visits for science week

Hi Everyone,

In May my school is having a science week and this year the theme will be animals. As the nursery teacher, I have been asked to arrange an animal themed visit to the school, for the foundation stage children. The visit needs to cater for 164 children (not all at once throught the day) aged 3 -5. We have had visits from a farm in previous years but this year we have limited space due to building works and no school field, so the animals would probably inside in a hall for the day or in a small concrete area. I don't mind which kind of animals visit us. However, it would be nice to have something other than mini beasts, lizards, frogs etc as we have seen these animals recently.

My school is based in the London borough of Merton. I was wondering if anyone in this area or close by has had a visit from a farm, zoo, wild life centre, vets, animal shelter etc recently that they could recommend. There are lots on the internet but its difficult to know which ones are good and offer the best experience, so thought I would ask for reviews or feedback from the people on here. Then I can make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance

I've often thought to look at the rules surrounding animals visiting school/preschool but never have. Depending on what they are, would children be able to bring their own pets in? I've got ferrets the children would love to see, I popped in with one once on a vet visit and we were passing, it was lovely. Maybe find out what pets your children have got and do your own risk assessment?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)