Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation advice please

Hi I could really do with some advice about an observation I've got coming up please. I am beginning a new topic of the tiger who came to tea and the day I begin is the day I have an observation by an early years advisor which is also the day which I have a supply TA.

I was hoping to begin the topic with a wow starter - video of myself dressed as a tiger either saying I want to come for tea but not sure if I can because I was told I now need an invitation to go to people's houses (leading to invitation writing) or that the tiger likes certain foods so they need to write a shopping list so that they have the right food. Or another stimulus? Or could this stimulus link to the role play cafe at all?

There will also be a new cafe role play area so I would like someone modelling this with a focus of expanding their language and acting out a storyline.

And another activity will probably be the invitation writing (guided writing) -> but I am not very confident on guided writing at all - does anyone have any tips on how it should be structured? With an objective of attempting to write sentences in meaningful contexts.

I'm just a bit confused what to ask the supply TA to focus on and what I should focus on as I will do all the activities during the week I'm just not sure on the observation day. Sorry my head is a bit confused at the moment and I'm not sure what is best. This post is a bit of blur or ideas.....

Any help would be really appreciated.

I'm a bit confused as to why this should be any different just because somebody is observing you. Surely the whole point of observing your practice so you get helpful feedback is to observe your general practice?

I hope that doesn't come across as unhelpful! What I was actually trying to get across is that you should have the courage of your convictions and do it just as you would normally. The advisor will be wanting to see your normal practice, and you should just go with what you would do if she wasn't there, if that means chatting to your TA before the lesson to decide where she will be best placed, then do that.

• Like 2

You are right, I just doubt myself and am stressing a little because I will have hardly any time to talk to my supply TA before the observation. As you say, hopefully I will get some helpful feedback.

You are right, I just doubt myself and am stressing a little because I will have hardly any time to talk to my supply TA before the observation. As you say, hopefully I will get some helpful feedback.

Is this a supply TA which the school has used before? Is this TA familiar with your classroom and age group? If TA is known to the school generally, could they let you send an email to them outlining what will be happening that morning and then perhaps you could have a two way planning session via e mail.

I did this a week or so a go! I got the idea off the internet somewhere. The children came into the class after lunch to a load of wrappers and food etc on the floor by my cupboard (where we keep party food)! Kids were really involved and excited! They searched the class, wrote lists of ideas of who it could be, they wrote questions and interviewed staff (they were prewarned). The buzz was brilliant! Next morning so many parents asked me about it and said kids were really talking about it at home!

Next day, we had a knock at the door and a child opened it to find a bag with a sorry letter, biscuits and the story inside! We read the story and ate biscuits, then discussed who we thought it could be! Children wrote back to the tiger with their own ideas etc and the ideas etc were great! We also went on to draw and label a tiger, wrote to the local zoo who have helped out. We have now got a trip booked and have made toys for the tigers which we are taking with us (enrichment etc)! Kids loved finding out about tigers!!

• Like 2

Hi

I hope that you relax during half term - if it is for you! Having recently been through Ofsted I know that is easier said than done. Just stay focused, show them on your planning why you are doing the tiger who came to tea- what will be its impact on their learning- plan for clear differentiation even if it is through targeted questioning or an additional challenge or a resource that will be in your enhancement planning. Also think about where it is going- what future link can you make?

Use ages and stages to wow them with how well you know your children, make sure that you note vunerable children on the plan, pupil premium, summer birthdays, SEND. All of which you will know but when having an observation make sure you shout it at them in big screamy letters on your planning - if its there they can tick that box...

You have your hook for the lesson- there are some amazingly creative ideas above, don't worry about TA- give them a simplistic plan- which can have who/what/where they will do/be, include questions they can ask and a simple grid to record obs etc if appropriate- go over and check and model during obs if you think they need support- give your observer a copy to show how you are supporting and developing their skills by your good practise!

If you have an outside area or free flow use it!

In your plenary - lots of active sharing and AFL of what they have learnt have they managed to meet your success criteria or objective? Get them involved in saying what the next step could be -don't worry if their ideas are not exactly yours, or need a little remodelling it shows that you are involving them in the process and you can flag it up as an area that you are developing with them.

You are putting so much thought into this that I am sure you will teach a brilliant lesson! :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)