Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

toilets!

we have a maximum of 39 children (nursery). is there a specified number of toilets we have to have? i know it used to be 1 toilet for every 10 children ages ago, but has it changed? we have 4 but want to turn one into an adult loo for staff as we are going to be away from rest of school in separate building when it is complete - just across our garden, but if we go over to the building it'll take at least 5 mins and leave 2 staff with 39 - potentially. and i don't plan on crossing my legs for 3 hours plus!! any ideas?

Why does one have to be specifically for staff? Do you have child sized loos in them? only asking as all of ours can be used by either adult or child.

staff want separate one and more privacy. i don't want to trek over to school and leave children out of ratio. particularly as our children come in functioning like 2 year olds - exploratory!! it would be unfair on staff and children. will have to think of another solution....

Taken from the statutory framework:

3.59 Providers must ensure there is an adequate number of toilets and hand basins available (usually one toilet and one hand basin for every ten children over the age of two). Except in childminding settings, there should usually be separate toilet facilities for adults. Providers must ensure there are suitable hygienic changing facilities for changing any children who are in nappies and providers should ensure that an adequate supply of clean bedding, towels, spare clothes and any other necessary items is always available.

Whilst it is not a must (e.g.., statutory) to have a staff loo it is a recommendation that there should be a separate staff loo. Also as well as counting the loos don't forget the handbasins. If you decide on the 3 children's loos and 1 staff loo scenario I would suggest that 9 (being that much closer to 10) children (aged 2 years plus) over would be severely frowned upon and probably place you in breach of regulations - which could end up with a grading of inadequate!!!!

• Like 1

i agree but we are told we will have to go over to school for the loo and it leaves 2 adults to 39 children. one outside and one in and who knows how many children in each area. they say it would cost £15,000 to make the only suitable area a staff loo and want the tiny budget for our refurb to be spent on things that will impact on children's learning. am just trying to think of any other options. iwe all want an adult toilet in our building. maybe i should say we will need someone to to come over to release us all, one at a time to go over to main school?!!

I work in YR in a prefab away from main building. We have 4 toilets and 4 hand basins for 60 children and staff have to use loo in main school. It is nigh on impossible to get away to the loo during session times so we just make sure we are extra vigilant in making sure we go before and after. Occasionally we are caught out but always have two adults inside and one outside if someone has to go - and we run there and back! Not ideal though.
I've raised the issue of not having enough toilets for the children but so far it's fallen on stony ground. Time will tell what Ofsted say.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)