Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS Policy and Procedure

becsltd

I am faced with the enormous task of making sense of the DBS system. We are now at a stage where we need to put our policy on DBS into writing. However, I am struggling to understand the Ofsted document on it. I feel that it is open to a lot of misinterpretation. I am keen to know if anybody has a policy that they would be happy to share. I can see lots of school ones on the internet but not many ones specifically to nurseries.

I am also keen to know how nurseries are managing the payment of the checks particularly the update service. If you are asking your staff to pay for all or part of the checks or update then are you recording this in your staff contracts??? And deducting from payroll???

Aagghhhh!!! I feel it is a minefield. It used to be so easy whereas now it just seems so much more complicated.

If anyone feels they can help I would hugely appreciate it!!!

Many thanks! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We pay for all our staff checks - rather pricey now though!! The company we do it through, tmg crb, haven't said anything about the update service so I don't even enter into that with staff, if they want to look into and do it they do of their own accord! As for a policy, we have one provided by the company that do that do the checks that we sign and date, they send this by post so haven't got it to upload sorry. Then in our recruitment policy and on application form just says about a DBS being done prior to starting (as far as possible) and that the position is subject to this coming through clear. Hope that's some use :-)

We pay for all our staff checks - rather pricey now though!! The company we do it through, tmg crb, haven't said anything about the update service so I don't even enter into that with staff, if they want to look into and do it they do of their own accord! As for a policy, we have one provided by the company that do that do the checks that we sign and date, they send this by post so haven't got it to upload sorry. Then in our recruitment policy and on application form just says about a DBS being done prior to starting (as far as possible) and that the position is subject to this coming through clear. Hope that's some use :-)

We pay for our staff too , the option for up date service is up to them , i do know that if it is not applied for within 2 weeks it can't be done . We cover it in our contracts and safeguarding policy but don't have separate policy for it . Not sure you need to do you?

Just to explain if you are committee run or managers did to go via ofsted ey2 form they then send link to complete with identification checks.

For staff , manager can do this online ( we use capita) and staff input their personal info and the managers manage application by filling in identity checks , e.g driving licence, passport, utility bill of staff member.

Once checked by capita or other company , only a certificate will be sent to employee ,employers must ask to see it and take note of number. Capita will notify employer of any concerns.

The update service is for the individual and if they are registered with that , only then can the new employer check for updates on certificate without the need to apply for a new one for them . Hope that makes sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)