Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When Ofsted visits

Hi,

Hope you can help me - I went on a training about a year ago or so and had an ofsted inspector speaking on a completely different topic but she mentioned that it was okay to ask the inspector when they come knocking to wait whilst you ring ofsted and double check that they have sent the inspector for safeguarding reasons.

Is this still the case? if so what number would I ring Ofsted on?

Thanks

I phoned them yesterday, the recorded messages and instructions went on forever before I actually got to speak to someone!

Wouldn't checking the ID be enough, along with following any procedures you have in place for visitors on the premises?

i know quite a few people who have done this......in fact some lea's suggest that this is what you should do. Of course you could also tell the inspector that as they are not dbs checked for your setting they will not be allowed to be left alone with the children., and then remove their mobile phone too!

• Like 2

And don't they have a 'right of entry? Doesn't look so good if we don't let them in? And they would never be left unsupervised would they? I think checking credentials is fine .....

All inspectors are fully DBS checked - they can't have their ID issued without it. It's sufficient to check passbook and ID badge (there are 2 separate IDs) - they wouldn't be alone in the setting anyway would they? I would only phone if they couldn't show me their ID - otherwise I would treat them as visitors as per your visits and visitors policy

• Like 1