Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

term time only childminding

I am new on this forum and tried to check if the childminders offer term time only childcare.

My question is if you offer term time childcare and not charge for the school holidays or only half fee.I spoke with 2 parents and they asked if we could do only term time but I still have to keep the place for their children and not paid for it so I don't want to say yes and wanted to check what the other childminders do in this situation.I understand for the parents it is extra payment when the child doesn't attend the setting but on the other hand for us it would be fair being paid at least 50%.

I am thinking "half fee for the school term holidays and not charge for summer holiday which is 6 weeks"

thank you ...

Hi. Just a quickie. If you're available all the year then you need to charge a retainer to hold the place during the holidays. Half rate is perfectly acceptable. If, like me, you're only available during term time, you should not charge. There are differing opinions regarding public holidays though. I maintain that, as we are self-employed, if we are not available to care for children then we shouldn't expect to be paid for public holidays. I know childminders though who think differently - that parents are being paid so why shouldn't we? Best of luck with your decision.

Honey.

Hi Honey,

yes I am available all the year except bank holidays.I will explain the parent why I ask for the half fee.hopefully it will be ok.

thanks..

Edited by serpilyurduseven

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

One of parents wanted term time only i said that was fine however i would charge her 70% for each week they were out, the children stay with me during the holidays now! Most nurseries can charge up to 90% or even full fee's if a child is off!

Jo

Hi, I have a few term time only contracts

I don't charge during the holidays, but they are on a higher hourly fee (£5 not £4 per hour) this works out well for me and the parents as they see it as them getting a good 'deal' such a shame when it comes to childcare!! BUT I do often get them booked in 1-2 days a week during the holidays (which I am happy to do, but will say no if doesn't suit me!)

My own children are older (9 &11) so they get a bit of down time! If i charged all mine would turn up lol!

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)