Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Children's progress

We teach the 7 areas too but on our 2-3 year olds I want them secure in the prime areas before moving onto the other 4. That's why we only plot baseline in the prime

If a child started over the age of 3 then we would plot 7

I used to do this as our children start when they are 2yr but our Advisor wasn't happy with it said it must be over the 7 areas - it's really hard especially as some of our children only attend 3 hours a week - the other thing our county state is that Baseline should be done in the 1st 2 weeks of a child starting .... yeah right!! ;)

Helen, can you suggest a form of baseline assessment? I just can't see that, in 2-4 weeks, we can assess against all the DM statements - it just doesn't seem manageable, especially when at 3 years some children attend only 1 or 2 sessions per week!

I wouldn't consider assessing against the DM statements anyway- ever! They are just examples of what children can do in those age-bands. I think creating a baseline of the prime areas is a good idea- and all 17 aspects if you can manage it- but really a 'best fit' for the age-band with possibly refinements such as emerging, dev, secure.

I used to do this as our children start when they are 2yr but our Advisor wasn't happy with it said it must be over the 7 areas - it's really hard especially as some of our children only attend 3 hours a week - the other thing our county state is that Baseline should be done in the 1st 2 weeks of a child starting .... yeah right!! ;)

Goodness - I seem to be 'taking issue' with several things today :blink:

My answer to your advisor would have been 'the prime areas are time sensitive' therefore at the tender age of 2 that's what we are focusing on so there

:1b

• Like 2

I have four children 2 in their 30's and 2 in their 20's, all went to playgroup for nearly two years and not once did anyone do an assessment on them baseline or otherwise! They played with them and watched them play sometimes but never wrote anything about them or gave me anything that was written about them.

But do you know what? They all loved it and it gave them all a great basis to start on!! Makes you wonder doesn't it?

• Like 2

Yes! I have 2 both in their 30's - one is a teacher and the other an amazing mum; EY 'education', though far removed from that provided today, couldn't have been so bad - yet if we dared to operate now as we did then we would be closed down :P .

I have four children 2 in their 30's and 2 in their 20's, all went to playgroup for nearly two years and not once did anyone do an assessment on them baseline or otherwise! They played with them and watched them play sometimes but never wrote anything about them or gave me anything that was written about them.

But do you know what? They all loved it and it gave them all a great basis to start on!! Makes you wonder doesn't it?

You sound just like one of my older members of staff - all this just drives her round the bend! :1b she did chew the ear off our last Ofsted inspector too, luckily she didn't hold it against us :D