Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emergent or copy write?

I have done both.

Providing you are teaching the children the phonic skills they need, you should be able to encourage emergent writing very successfully.

I would not provide the children with copy writing as a written exercise but I would provide opportunities for them to have access to plenty of resources and word banks etc so that they can copy write. I have had children keen to copy lists of classmates names etc.

In England, FS1 is the nursery/pre school year and FS2 reception class.

I think this is different in other parts of the UK

Thunks Mundia...one of those labels that is often used by schools but not explained ! Where did this label come from? i cant seem to find reference to it .

.....had an odd conversation recently about it.....i think thats where the confusion arose! thanks for clearing it up.

I think it depends what your objectives are. If I am teaching handwriting then I might use copy writing to start with, to model how to write the letters correctly. However if my learning objective is making marks / using letters to communicate meaning then I would encourage the children to write emergently, supporting them with finding letters on letter mats, if they could hear a particular sound, but wanted to know what it looked like.

Hope that helps x

• Like 1

Thunks Mundia...one of those labels that is often used by schools but not explained ! Where did this label come from? i cant seem to find reference to it .

.....had an odd conversation recently about it.....i think thats where the confusion arose! thanks for clearing it up.

From the days when the Foundation Stage was the term used to describe children aged 3+ in nursery and Reception in schools. Foundation stage 1 was nursery and 2 reception. It came from the "curriculum guidance for the foundation stage" 2000, which came after the Desirable Learning Outcomes.

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)