Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Remembrance day

They are so little. I would worry about it leading to fear and confusion rather than understanding. However, children may ask why people wear red flowers, so it would be sensible to have thought about an answer. Perhaps to thank people who helped people they didn't know? At least an answer is given. I wouldn't talk about war.

I saw a post on here a while back from someone who said she was going to explain remembrance day on a superhero theme - i.e. superheroes are not only batman, spiderman etc but also policemen, firemen and soldiers. I thought that was a nice idea.

• Like 2

I disagree and feel that truth albeit suitable for their age, we talked about wearing poppies to remember people that have served and died during war time. also we help raise money for people who have been injured.

After all if my setting was on an army base war and conflict would effect all the children that attended

I meant as an adult-initiated topic of conversation in the group. I wouldn't avoid it if a child brought it up and would, as you, respond as appropriate to the child's understanding, individually. Last year we had a child who got recurring nightmares and fears from another child's media inspired play. With war you can't say it's only pretend... It's so valuable to hear others' views!

With the 2-3 year olds we watched the "Two minute silence" video by the British Legion. We said we would watch it and think about soldiers. The children pointed out the poppies and soldiers in the video

We wondered whether to do anything for Remembrance Day but as a staff team felt it was relevant to the children to mark the event. Some of them were wearing poppies to preschool and one little girl has a father in the armed forces. We had a craft activity for the children to make their own poppies and we talked about remembering all the soldiers who had helped us and look after us. That was as deep as it went! The parents/carers (especially grandparents) all appreciated the activity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)