Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Winter wonderland topic 0-1yrs

Hello all,

At our nursery we do monthly topics (which I don't like but that's another story!) and December we have decided on winter wonderland. I'm looking to pick people's brains on what activities we can do for this topic within the baby room (0-1yrs), that does not centre around Christmas. It seems all the ideas so far are Christmas related.

Any ideas or activities that have worked well in the past for others would be greatly received. :0)

Thanks in advance.

I can never understand why Winter themes begin before Christmas, as Winter begins on December 21 st. There is enough to keep you busy until after the Christmas break, with all the Christmas activities and with your children that must be enough. I know that doesn't really help you with what you have been asked to do, but perhaps you could mention it to your team leader. After all what will you do in January and February, which are the Winter months?

I can only think of ice cubes or coloured ice balloons. Anything else would just have to be artificial, glitter, cotton wool to look wintery and to a 1 year old that won't be any different to cotton wool or glitter used in any other activity.

Thank you for your replies. I don't really like doing monthly topics, I'd much prefer to do independent mini topics focused on the interests of the babies. Especially as the monthly topics are for the whole nursery and have to suit us in babies all the way through to those in pre-school. Not always easy for us!

I think that winter wonderland was chosen to incorporate Christmas, just having Christmas as a topic is not very multicultural. I do see your point about winter starting much later in the month. January's topic has not yet been decided but it will likely be something standard like transport, pattern, animals etc.

I have already put ice balloons on the planning-I love making them all colourful and glittery. I also put down salt dough snowmen. We have snowmen play dough stamps so we let the babies manipulate and explore the dough before using the stampers and cooking them. Sometimes topics like this are difficult with the babies! :0(

sensory tubs/gingerbread playdough/apple sauce playdough/animals that live in the snow/make paper snaflake mobiles for them to watch/ bright white playdough/crushed ice with food colouring/discovery bottles with glitter/'cold colours for colouring sticking etc

• Like 1

soft snuggling teddies, polar bear, penguins, play peek a boo in a box, under a blanket? singing winter themed songs

Reading together first one in my head polar bear polar bear what can you hear?

Last year we did sensory bottles (older children) with glitter, oil and snowflakes which the younger baby loved

Space blanket, all shiny, with sliver objects to represent the cold?

• 1 month later...

Last post really good! Woolly clothes in setting for them to feel . If they like playing with their hands and finger puppets. They have some lovely finger puppets you can buy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)