Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Descriptions

Hi

I am in the process of reveiwing all the job descriptions, as over the last year or so, some of the old roles have evolved, and some staff promoted etc, I think refreshed job descriptions should help staff and myself at their appraisal to properly work through the requirments of the roles. Is there any reason why I can't display all job descriptions for all staff to see? There is still an element (over 4.5 years on from me starting) of 'how we used to do it' and some of the long standing staff members occasionally slip into this, despite me having modelled and explained how the staff situation is now. I thought by making the job descriptions available to all, it should clarify in everyone's head who does what/who is responsible for what. I assume this is ok?!

Thanks

Clare

and also be aware that it could cause someone to read them and then refuse to do something as it is in xx job description so they should do it.. even when they have been doing it for a long time already... some can be very petty like that.. but if they don't see it written down will continue..

we're going through ours this week. I'm going to print them off and colour code the shared areas, so assistants, deputy and manager will be blur, deputy and manager, red and then they'll be displayed. I'm not waiting for appraisals because we're doing it together. I need everyone to know its mostly a shared job :)

we're going through ours this week. I'm going to print them off and colour code the shared areas, so assistants, deputy and manager will be blur, deputy and manager, red and then they'll be displayed. I'm not waiting for appraisals because we're doing it together. I need everyone to know its mostly a shared job :)

That's how I feel about things Rea, although I own/ Manage the group I very much feel this is OUR group and we all pull together to make it work for the children and each other - there is not one job I haven't done or won't do and I feel my staff should think the same way. Their job description is a starting point - an outline, the devil as always is in the detail

When we felt it was time to update our job descriptions (motivated by impending appraisals in which we needed were hoping to point out how people weren't doing their jobs!) we asked everyone to list all the things they thought were in their job descriptions and all the things that weren't but that they did. We then spoke to each person individually and compared their "description" to their official one and agreed amendments from there. Once they were all agreed everyone got a copy of all the descriptions and although I worried about the"it's not in my job description" backlash, it actually worked out that most people realised they got away lightly as the senior staff did everything the same as the less senior and then some more on top.