Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Selecting and using activities with help

Hi!

Another DM statement question (or learning outcomes or whatever we are supposed to call them this week!)

"Can select and use activities and resources with help" - I find that the majority of children are able to get what they want off the shelf and use - mostly completely independently at the beginning of the year (I'm in a Nursery in a school so children are all 3 when they first start).

Wondering what others look for in this statement? Is it more about children thinking 'I want to do xxx' then knowing and being able to get those resources without being prompted?

I do expect children to use the resources in some way (e.g. they are past the exploring/flitting stage of just going to an area and playing with the first thing that they see)

Just wondered how others interpret this?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

My interpretation is that the selecting is independent and the using requires help.

(Don't you think so many Learning Outcomes are ambiguous?!)

Very much so!

I don't use them as a tick-list but as I'm doing 'best fit' I do consider the statements and what each on might 'look like'. I think with statements like this, it's about thinking about "to what degree do they do xxx" - e.g. in this particular example, how much have they actually 'selected' a resource and how are they using them? Do they know what the resources are for? Are they simply exploring them or using them for a purpose?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

this is in the section covering confidence I often think of this one as i want to cut the paper...i need to get some scissors, but i might need help to cut the shape...kind of thing! i have lots of children who would hang around ...knowing what they want but waiting for someone to get it for them....or even do it for them! one of my little ones will stay at an activity until someone tells her to move! :o

it is also a LO that requires the resources in the environment to be accessible!

The other day I was with a child ( 2 next February)

I placed the play dough on the table where I had 4 children sat down. One child got off her chair, I thought she was just going to walk away from the activity but she walked over to the drawers and opened the correct drawer and took out the play dough tools...

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)