Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quilt

It stands for quality improvement in learning and teaching. It is a 3 year modular scheme with 9 units over the three years. You have to gather evidence against standards. Then present it to a panel and if you pass you get your Quilt mark. Several settings round our way have done it I think but wondered if anyone on here has done it. Don't want to give myself loads of extra work for little return but I think there might be something in it.

I haven't heard of quilt but we did our LA Quality Assurance a few years back. It was an enormous amount of work but it did make us look at our practice in detail and we did make some changes. It was good to do as a team too. Just after we finished, the LA scaled it down from nine modules to five for the same QA award, then they dumped it all together, so ours isn't worth anything now. I would say the process is worthwhile if you can share the workload between your team.

Also remember that it is a form of self evaluation.. there are many schemes out there... if doing one there is no need to double up and do the Ofsted SEF as well... no point in doing it twice... decide on one or the other.

Many settings in this area do not do the Ofsted one but have one developed by the LA .

I'm assuming this is the QA scheme developed by Brighton and Hove about ten years ago? I've met with many practitioners from PVI settings who think it's really good- a thorough self-evaluation programme, well supported by the LA advisors. I believe it's mandatory (or used to be) in all settings in B & H. Have heard lots of good things about it, but not sure how it would work in other LAs, with perhaps fewer opportunities to meet with advisors. You'd need to check what support you'd get throughout. :1b

I did it in Brighton until I moved authorities in Sept. Had good support from LA advisors as mentioned above. We used it as an EYFS team so it was for both Nursery and Reception classes - it suited both well. Good way of reminding ourselves to do some regular self-reflection on specific areas and also encourages you to evidence the things you are doing already - handy to show parents/inspectors etc. x

Edited by mac20

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)