Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fragrant Playdough

Hi

I wanted to make some scented playdough by adding essential oils to it, has anyone had particular success with any particular smell, are there some that don't work?

Somebody has suggested to me that some essential oils can be harmful to children's skin, and that the only suitable one is lavender, has anyone used any others?

We use several differnt oils with no problem, although a lot of those we use are the room scent type used with burners rather than the essential oils for the skin.

I was lucky to walk into a Body Shop Depot in local outlet village when they were selling off lots of these oils....(25p a bottle)...needledss to say we have a good stock at this time!! :D

the children love the fizzy lemonade smell.... yes it really smells like its name.....

we also use an orange one and a pine scent, both of which work well....

Chocolate orange is also good.

lavender is not so popular with the children but it really does seem to calm them when we use it...only problem is it calms all the staff!! one always feels sleepy when we use it as she is particularly receptive to the effect, another hates the smell and avouds it at all costs.

eucalyptus is particularly strong and as it warms while being used makes the whole area smell,

we are always wary of any that are premixed scents..they can be a bit pungent , but we do use them occasionally.

we use them sparingly and massage or knead them into the dough once made while it is still warm and give it to the children warm....

Inge

you do need to be a bit carefull with essenatial oils, and also remember that lavendar is contraindicated in epilepsy. Lemon and other citrus oils are the worst on sensitive skin. and can react with sunlight causing skins reactions. I mix my essenstila oils (literally one or two drops) with a small amount of grapeseed oil and then knead it in at the last miniute whilst the dough is still warm. This is more or less tha same effect as making up a massage oil.

If you want the room to smell like heaven (!!!) mix some cocoa powder in with the flour (not the instant stuff with milk powder added) I use about a third of a tin, measure it in with the flour so you have the same proportions.

As the children handle the dough the smell gets stronger, it is quite lovely!

Teri

Only tea tree (smells foul) and lavender can be used neat on the skin. The others all need diluting.

All the oils are harmful to the eyes.

I tend to use the flavourings you find on the baking counter and we also add colouring sometimes mixing so brown with a strawberry smell. Its amazing the different reactions you get, but obviously some colours need to be handled carefully.

Some esential oils canrt be used on pregnent women either, but I dont know which ones. Strawberry and banana food essences were good and vanilla. I also used stuffing mix and italian herbs. :D

I have also added shampooes and other such products. Have to say herbal essences shampoo went down a treat with all and the lingering smell in the finger paint (still obsessed!!) lasted for weeks as they hung on the walls.

Lisa E

I have used cocoa with great success! Smells lovely and the children loved it, we made our own easter workshop and gave them celophane wrappers to make easter eggs with. Great fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)