Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Outcomes Document

Just wondered what the official line is about what we ought to be using. I realise both are non-statutory and practically the same, but wondered what Ofsted have been told to expect when they inspect. If we are not expected to use the Learning Outcomes, then I don't understand why it has been produced. I'm really pleased I follow this site or I wouldn't have even known about it.

• Like 1

As you say, they are not statutory, so I guess Ofsted won't 'expect' either. I think as long as you can show you are using something to assess and monitor progress and that assessment and monitoring is effective in moving children on, it doesn't matter what you use. That's only my take on it though.

• Like 1

Hi all- They are the same but one has extras with more info re: pedagogy characteristics of effective learning and how to support the learning and good practice and the other is just the scaled down version with the statements and nothing more- I think its just personal preference myself and you may use both but for different things but for me the DfE one is just a checklist and so goes against all the EYFS principles.

On the Home page this forum says

"Early Years Outcomes replaces Development Matters " I am not sure that that is actually the case? Edited by surfer

• 2 weeks later...

Depressingly a friend of a friend is an HMI and he says the Gove is wants foundation stage to be "measurable". Please please let's hope this doesn't mean tests or losing our early years principles of active play based learning.

OFSTED will use early years outcomes but how I don't know. My school is aiming for outstanding and am feeling depressed and confused trying to work out what this means for reception and the nursery classes.

Someone I know who has recently attended Ofsted training on the new inspection framework said most of the time was spent on early years, and that baseline assessment will be done at the beginning of YR from next year. Isn't this still under consultation?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)