Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

African Theme

Hi I teach in a mixed reception/year one class and we have been looking at the book 'We're going on a lion hunt'. I would really like to follow up with this next week with some non fiction afrcan books/african animal books. Does anyone have any inspiration for some activity ideas based around this theme???

Would be most appreciated!

I've never done Africa as a theme. I did have a book called An African Safari, not sure of the author. It was a rhyme book counting animals they saw on the plains, with words in swahili (sp) at the back of the book with pronunciation which helped. :D

Looking at patterns using wild animals as a starting point. Making a lion mask (I've used paper plate, yellow paint and yellow crepe for the mane). Get the children to make a wild animal landscape using boxes and papier mache. :)

Hi

We used Africa as a theme a few years ago in Pre School, I may still have some ideas tucked away in the 'archives' of my loft - I will venture up there during the weekend if that's not too late and let you know what we covered,

I do a holidays topic and often visit Africa. There's lots of wonderful fiction and non-fiction books. Handa's surprise is good and can be linked to fruit tasting/balance/sequencing. Christian aid and oxfam do some good african resources which range from story books to big books.I use african type music which the children enjoying moving and playing instruments along to.

Have fun! :)

" A is for africa" , chidi only likes blue, emekas gift and one big family all by Ifeoma onyefulu all fab and all show contemporary african village life (although I would always stress that not all africans live in villages and some live in cities that would rival london for buildings and traffic and people!!)

love kathryn cave 'one child one seed.' And like catma, anything by Ifeoma onyefulu is great. I really like 'a traingle for adeora' an unusuall lok at shape.

I also have Rachel Isadora's 'over the green hills' and a 'south afrikan night'

For animla books I love that number book that comes in big form is it called soemthing like 'over in the grasslands?'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)