Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Two year old escapes from nursery

Stargrower

Right. Well this is just the sort of thing that kept me awake at night, and I would be mortified if something like this happened on my watch. I imagine some very hard questions are being asked at that nursery right now.

Interesting that the dad was saying it had been an 'ordeal' - I'm not sure it is quite the right word given that she got herself home safe and sound. That said, it does make your blood run cold to think what might have happened, especially with a busy road and a stretch of water nearby.

On the bright side, isn't it amazing what your average two year old can accomplish when given the opportunity to show us! ;)

• Like 3

When you see what young children around the world have to deal with in their daily lives, just to survive, it makes me wonder if we underestimate our youngsters.

Obviously I'm not advocating leaving the door open!

• Like 3

Obviously I'm not advocating leaving the door open!

Nor me. ;)

I vividly remember when I took over as Supervisor of my nursery, there was a conservatory with a lock that worked by flipping a small handle. It was just at the right height for a three year old to operate, and lo and behold several of them knew how to operate it. The staff were very vigilant, but even so I just freaked out. I insisted that a bolt be fitted high up the door but the owner of the nursery had the devil's own job to convince the owners of the hall that it was necessary. :angry: However she did it and once it was fitted, we could all relax and allow our children to enjoy their environment without continually being on their case.

Can't imagine that happening these days - sometimes I think we've gone health and safety mad, but events like this make you realise just how easy it is for children to exploit every tiny weakness in our defences!

Interesting that the dad was saying it had been an 'ordeal' - I'm not sure it is quite the right word given that she got herself home safe and sound. That said, it does make your blood run cold to think what might have happened, especially with a busy road and a stretch of water nearby.

I agree. Ordeal, no. But if this had happened to my child I would be shocked, frightened and very angry.

Sorry Maz that was your quote at the top but it didn't post like that!

Edited by Beehive

It is strange what people think it ok though. Obviously in this case we would all agree horrible situation and totally not acceptable. However we had a three year old who used to regularly leave her home (or break out depending on who you believe) and walk around the local area (to the park up the estates etc,.,) we were led to believe there were times when parents didn't know she had gone. Social care where involved but in the end said there was no case to answer really. Alright it wasn't half a mile and there were no canals but....!

I should just say that I am not saying that it was ok the child went missing in the article (just before anyone shoots me :ph34r: )

My youngest used to be good at disappearing, all the children in the neighbourhood could be in our garden or playing out the front, but not him. Walking home from school he had 2 or 3 people say hello to him, he asked me how come everyone knew him, it was because he'd been in most their houses or gardens for drinks of squash or biscuits! He was 3 or 4.

Need eyes in the back of your head!

Funny how I wouldn't dream of taking my eyes of someone elses child

Edited by Rea
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest used to be good at disappearing, all the children in the neighbourhood could be in our garden or playing out the front, but not him. Walking home from school he had 2 or 3 people say hello to him, he asked me how come everyone knew him, it was because he'd been in most their houses or gardens for drinks of squash or biscuits! He was 3 or 4.

Need eyes in the back of your head!

Funny how I wouldn't dream of taking my eyes of someone elses child

Ah, Rea, so me! You have met my escapologist - looks like butter wouldn't melt, doesn't he? (even now!!) I understand your problem with youngest. Even though you know, somehow they manage it!!

I remember years ago watching a programme where very young children were sent out to negotiate long complicated journeys alone just to see if they could manage them. They were followed at a distance by a camera crew who would presumably intervene if something went badly wrong but still not sure about the ethics of it.

Does anyone else remember? I think the children generally go to their destination with a few mishaps along the way.

Edited by Upsy Daisy