Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paper and/or card provision

Hi! Just a few quick questions this time!

Just wondering what other's provide in terms of different types/textures/shapes of paper and/or card? How do you store them on your shelves/trolley - e.g. in separate labelled trays - plain/coloured/lined or in one tray for children to look through? Do you have a central place for paper/card or do you also provide in all areas?

Have seen that Baker Ross do a selection pack of different types, colours and textures of paper - has anyone tried this pack or know where I can get different types of paper?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

for painting, I have paper stored under the easel; for drawing/writing/mark-making, it is in a box that hangs on the side of the table and for everything else, there's a large crate , and an art trolley..........paper, card etc everywhere ( I was also lucky enough to be given beautiful thick paper from a local printer who retired and wondered if I would like some coloured paper?? I have a small filing cabinet full, next to the children's drawers, so they help themselves from there too) ^_^

I have large sheets of coloured and white paper and large pieces of wallpaper hung over a rail so it is easy to select and under that I have 2 small addis type boxes with A4 (ish) pieces of other types of paper such as tissue, waxed, magazine pages, foil, cellophane, card etc

Thanks.

So do the children know that there are different types of paper available within different boxes and know to have a flick through? I have my paper separated into 3 boxes on the writing then have a generic paper/card tray on the creative shelf plus bigger paper (at the moment just white A3 but will add different colours and types to this) under the painting easel. Was wondering whether it would be a good idea to have stacked open 'office-type' trays so that children can see what's available?

Green Hippo x

The children quite happily rummage through for paper to meet their planned needs. I have to say that my philosophy is 'less is more' so I don't put reams and reams out, just a few select pieces so it is simple for them to flick through. I quite like letting them search for what they need rather than 'spoon feeding' them by having it all segregated and sorted

Thanks.

So do the children know that there are different types of paper available within different boxes and know to have a flick through? I have my paper separated into 3 boxes on the writing then have a generic paper/card tray on the creative shelf plus bigger paper (at the moment just white A3 but will add different colours and types to this) under the painting easel. Was wondering whether it would be a good idea to have stacked open 'office-type' trays so that children can see what's available?

Green Hippo x

Thanks again for your replies.

I do agree with 'less is more' and I try to have a regular clear out to refresh the paper. Will make sure that during our 'training' sessions that we show the children that there are different colours/types etc available. If I put any specially printed paper out I do tend to show the children separately or put them in a special box to highlight the special paper.

Thanks again

Green Hippo x

We used a large cheap bucket to put larger sheets of rolled up paper in - there was always a variety of types and colours in it. Then we had a cupboard for the smaller card and paper which the children were encouraged to access themselves.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the lovely ideas!

Just one further question (for now!). Do you tend to have a 'central' place for mark-making items which children know that they can come and get what they want if they want to draw or write or do you have writing equipment in different areas?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Hi we have a mark making caddy for outdoors with various types and sizes of paper, indoors we have a mark making trolley with many tools for childrens choice.

As well as mark making in the role play area too.

We are in the process of making some mark making belts with pockets similar to a builders belt for tools which marking items will be placed in too.

Thanks for your replies. As well as our indoor and outdoor writing resources, we have writing resources in the role-play areas, construction area/small world and the maths area but tend to introduce these slowly as we build up resources as in the past we have found that children don't use them unless it is modelled how to use them. The children do also tend to select resources from the writing shelf which is purposely set up right in the middle of the room (right next to the construction and maths areas!) and use these around the room. I was wondering whether to build up more resources on the writing shelf and model how to select these when working in different areas or whether having the writing equipment in the different areas actually encourages/reminds/inspires children to make marks in these different areas?

Thanks again,

Green Hippo x

i do think that where to supply the resources can change depending on the children.. some years we had it in each area.. a small box with paper as well.. or books whatever was appropriate.. other times the children did not need this and would access the mark making area and use it in other areas..

we did have a lot of the mark making belts.. like a tool belt or market stall money belt with materials to use and were portable.. so could be used anywhere...staff had these for holding pens, etc.. so they were modelling the use all the time..

• 1 month later...

Just considering my mark-making provision within my construction area at the moment.

What do other's have in their construction areas? In the past we have provided tool boxes with writing resources but am thinking whether it is better to provide larger bits of paper to encourage larger designs?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)