Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessments

Hello to all you lovely people:)

I am new to this site and to the world of Teaching EEK!!!

One of my main concerns at the moment is getting my head around the baseline assessments. Any tips of words of advice related to this would be wonderful.

x

Hello! What we've done is to state the things we consider being important, observe the child to see what of those things the child does.

At the end of the term* we look again to see what the child can do and voilá - progress! (* In fact, we observe throughout the term to

identify the things the child is about to learn and that's our planning.)

Good morning.

Could someone please tell me if a child who is "on track" on entry to Reception ie has all of 30-50 months and some of 40-60 months, is recorded as a high 30-50 or a low 40-60?

Guest tinkerbell

Welcome May B

I have used the communication 4 all baseline booklet (just google it) for many years to find out where the new reception children are when they enter my school .People may shoot me down for using this 'formal' method but to be frank it suits me and my setting very well .I teach a mixed reception year1 class and the children come to me from 9 different settings ,some with assessment information some without ,it gives me information quickly which I use to organise my teaching and plan for progress.

We don't have any one left in my authority in the Early year department (can you believe it?) each area has a cluster of schools and I set up Early years meetings for my group where we meet each term to discuss 'issues'. baseline was one of them and we all decided to use the starting school booklet and we will feed back at our next meeting as to how useful we found it and any adaptions we may make for the future .We all felt we needed something similar and 'concrete' to base our moderations on for our next meeting which will be in a months time, we will also be looking to moderate samples of mark making/writing .

As you are new to EYFS do find other colleagues to share your ideas with ,your authority may have an NQT programme .There are lots of lovely people on this site who will help you ,just ask.

Good luck

Tinkerbell

Apologies to anyone who read my post - I signed up for the Reception discussion because we have a few older children in our setting,

but missed that the question was for Reception teachers who have different concerns from pre-schools, though we all work with the EYFS.

Good morning.

Could someone please tell me if a child who is "on track" on entry to Reception ie has all of 30-50 months and some of 40-60 months, is recorded as a high 30-50 or a low 40-60?

Well the decision is are they still in 30 - 50 or starting to look like they are moving into 40 - 60+ which would give you a steer on your judgement I think!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)