Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting scheme

Hi all,

I'm in a year r/1 mixed class and we are looking to moving over to a cursive h/w scheme. Just wondering what everyone else uses and can anyone recommend a good one? X

Guest LornaW

Write Dance, Squiggle while you wiggle and Penpals are some that I have heard of.

The book I have used for years is Rosemary Sassoon's "Handwriting the way to teach it"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handwriting-Way-Teach-Rosemary-Sassoon/dp/0748701680/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374647936&sr=1-6

But it is not a scheme you have to devise that yourself!

LornaW

When you say you are moving to a scheme do you mean you are looking at them or you have one you are going to use?

In my experience you need lots of PD activities to support as starting on and finishing on the line is not something children will have experienced before and the urge is to form the letters and then put on the cursive bits so the resulting writing looks appalling!

Cx

Handwriting for Windows is the package you need for printing as it definitely helps if the children can see the end results, Enviornmental print is more usually capitals than cursive!

Write Dance is fun and encourages physical development but is not a handwriting scheme.

Penpals has lots of physical development and pattern ideas but is not cursive but it could be worth an investment as that will put the fundamentals in place and enable your children to progress to lead ins.

My own experience in teaching cursive was it was better to get a good print/ letter formation established before teaching cursive as the children found it very difficult to join the individual letters when taught as stand alone formations with lead ins.

I like the rationale of Rosemary Sassons as mentioned by Laura and of the Cripps, A Hand for Spelling scheme which had great letter formation ideas.

Get some inspection copies and see what you think?

Guest tinkerbell

we use penpals. The whole school follows the scheme ,it has iwb activities which my reception enjoy ,also homework sheets if you want to go down that track.I know the year2 teacher uses them.

The National Handwriting Association has some good advice/ideas on how to teach handwriting and is worth look at their web site - www.nha-handwriting.org.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)