Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New criteria for EYTs and EYEs announced

HappyMaz

Significantly, there is still no confirmation that the Early Years Teacher qualification will be equal in terms of financial reward to that of Teachers with QTS!

As I already have the required GCSE grades and have passed the same skills tests as classroom teacher trainees within the last 6 weeks, may I assume that my qualification is already equal to that of a QTS teacher?

"From September, early years teacher trainees will have to meet the same entry requirements as primary trainee teachers - including at least a GCSE grade C in English, mathematics and science, or equivalent. From September 2014, trainees will have to pass the same skills test as classroom teacher trainees before they start their course." (Childcare qualifications overhaul, Jul 2013)

Well Ratatat, pay and conditions have never formed part of the criteria for what constitutes a full and relevant qualification, so it would be very unusual for the National College of Teaching and Leadership to include it here.

As an EYP I think it is true to say that you will automatically be accorded EYT status - but obviously EYPS is a status and not a qualification. Therefore your status won't be truly equal to QTS (in terms of being able to teach in a primary school) because you haven't undergone that specific training pathway and are therefore not qualified. But something tells me that was a rhetorical question... ;)

• Like 2

@ HappyMaz: You guessed correctly!

I have just done an analysis of the new Early Years Teachers' Standards (2013) in comparison with the Early Years Professional standards (2012). Although the wording is subtly different, they are actually almost identical.

The significant differences seem to be in relation to understanding: systematic synthetic phonics in the teaching of early reading and appropriate strategies in teaching early maths.

I think most EYPs would willingly undertake any training necessary in these specifics to achieve a suitable standard of competence.

I am very proud of my EYP status and will remain proud when I am conferred the new title of Early Years Teacher Status. I will remain convinced that these intensively experienced and specifically qualified individuals are crucial to the future well-being and success of the young children engaged in the Early Years Sector.

My concern is that the government have now achieved this highly skilled and dedicated workforce yet have no intentions of providing the sector with the funds to ensure that these individuals have secure jobs or receive am acceptable rate of pay!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)