Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help again - progress

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

we use progress tracker to monitor how each child is achieving/developing.

Each child will only be moved up into the next bracket of the EYFS after they have a range of observations from the keyperson as well as the keyperson using their judgement.

After attending the 'profile' training, we realised we were marking the children quite highly and were not reflecting the EYFS correctly - how can so many of our pre-school children be at the ELG if that is the goal at the end of Reception.

I hope that helps, if it's a load of waffle and not what you mean I do apologise as I'm very tired at the mo,

Spiral :-)

Progress is the difference between the starting point and where they get to. They could get to the ELG but make limited (poor) progress or get to the goal and make outstanding progress.

You just have to interpret your data accordingly!

Cx

There isn't a defined "amount", but if a child was below age related expectations on entry and then you narrowed the gap to get them to age related expectations you could broadly say it was good progress, whereas if they were at or above age related on entry and then were still at age related when they left it would be satisfactory progress. It's to do with how the gap is closed or learning accelerated.

Cx

ok i might be being a bit dim here bagelface ...so if i send you a child who is 'working within' pse then there are only four steps to NC1....so how would they attain an outstanding?

That's what I was trying to work out - We don't give "amounts" in my LA - we just support practitioners in looking holistically at the cohort data and how they have narrowed/closed the gaps for vulnerable groups which is also a key measure in judging cohort progress. Then we look at pupil progress against national expectations as part of that too. This works better for our EYFS leaders when they have to talk about their data to Ofsted inspectors. Many, many of them have reported back that this way of thinking has made it easier to talk about the cohort and any individuals within it.

Cx

Because the ELG is split into three too. This is just what we are using - I'm not saying it is right. So a child can jump 7 or more to get outstanding progress if they come in working within and end up secure in the ELG.

Guest LornaW

Why! Why! Why! Do some LAs make it so complicated I am sure it was never meant to be so!

LornaW

Why! Why! Why! Do some LAs make it so complicated I am sure it was never meant to be so!

LornaW

Because people (in the broadest sense) want a "system" or a rule to know they are doing the "right" thing so they get one. I have to say that no one gives us any training either...as I've said before we get no additional secret information, we just have to read it and interpret it like anyone else. Sometimes external pressure (Directors of Education can be very persuasive, especially if your job is being restructured) comes in to play too.

Which is why I try to keep it really simple!!!

Cx

Guest LornaW

Catma you are spot on as usual! And there are lots of LAs restructuring at the moment and those at the top push mo and more pressure on those on the chalk face!!!! So advisors are just that! (And i have been there & got yhe t-shirt! )

Do what is right for you, your setting/school and of course for the children!

As long as you know the children know their progress and can talk to it Ofsted will be fine!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)