Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

references

Hi

I am hoping to take on an ex-parent as a student on a Level 3 Diploma. I have got her two references back (one from a major retail store and one from a social care agency) and both confirm only the dates she was employed; they won't fill in my specific reference forms as it is not company policy. The dates do match up, the DBS check has come back 'clean' and I do know her reasonably well through having had three of her four children in my setting.

I have written to another previous employer in the hope she will complete my form but I'm not sure as this is another non-childcare sector employer.

What would you do?

Thank you,

A

I had a similar situation in the past.In my case, everything was ok and I was satisfied with the information I had and that the person was right for the position but like you, it wasn't very detailed. I also obtained character references.

You might be able to do the same and get some of the other questions answered .

• Like 1

I,m experiencing the other side of references............having to do them, often for the same couple of left staff, who are constantly applying for posts, some not even related to childcare, we're not one of their last employers either, and the formats for references now are very direct with their questions, and would i employ them again NO! (and one is a relative - could get messy) are people allowed to see their references if they ask ?

I have a similar problem to mouse63. I know the importance of giving references within the childcare/education sector especially but I am very reluctant to give anything more than a confirmation of dates of employment for the people in question. It doesn't help matters when they give our details for a reference without asking either :ph34r: !

I was sent a very long and detailed form from a primary school soon after the change in data protection legislation

and replied honestly, assuming that it was confidential information. The former employee contacted the school

after no having getting the job, asking to see what I had written! I was very upset about having been exposed that

way, after having been helpful. Apparently they applicant has a right to see the references. Yet, only a couple of

months ago, I was asked to give a reference on a form with 'confidential' written in capitals on top. Don't be fooled!

• Like 1

Many companies are refusing to give references and only providing essential information as they are afraid of the repercussions of being sued etc...! Not sure about the law regarding giving a negative reference - surely you have to be truthful or what help,is it to the new employer?