Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview for nursery TA job

Hi

I have not been around for a while as things have been a bit hectic. After doing a lot of soul searching I decided to hand in my notice at work after half term as I felt that I needed a new challenge in a different setting.

Yesterday I was invited for an interview for a job in a local school as TA in the nursery. I am currently SENCO in a preschool. I am really excited as it the job that I really want but now I am beginning to panic about having an interview - not done one for nearly 7 years.

I know I am good at my job but I am worried that nerves will get the better of me and I will just go blank when they ask me anything. I am doing lots of research about the school itself and linking my skills and experience to the person spec.

Just wondering if any of you lovely people have any advice on how to conquer the dreaded nerves and any suggestions about what the interviewers may ask me :1b

With regard to the nerves - have you tried rescue remedy? I've never used it myself, but I know friends who have found it very helpful.

With regard to the nerves, I'd expect all the usual: the EYFS, safeguarding, behaviour management and so on. My big tip would be to offer lots of concrete examples from your own experiences to show how you do things, and why.

I'm sure someone will come by soon with more targeted advice to offer!

Good luck with the interview!

I can PM you with a list of questions (and possible answers!) for our recent nursery nurse post (maintained nursery) if that is any help. One candidate looked at our school website and used the information about nursery to plan her adult-led activity! I was well impressed!

Guest sn0wdr0p

I HATE interviewing for staff and I feel really nervous beforehand. I am interviewing next week for a manager, nursery practitioners and playworkers and what I want is evidence of a firm understanding of the EYFS and how to apply it in practice. I would like to ensure they understand how children learn and develop and what an effective observation would cover. From this process I should be able to judge that the candidate can think on their feet and also what their personality is like and whether they will fit into my team.

I will be the one taking the rescue remedy.

My tip is when answering give real life examples from your own experience - as soon as you talk about things you know well you relax and you can get beyond the pat "text book" answers. Also think about the difference you have made - the impact of what you do on children's outcomes.

Cx