Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What are your reception profiles looking like?!

At a recent briefing we were told the big O will be looking for a GLD of 80%. This seems excessive when pilot was 41%! Just another thing to beat us with!

Was this an Ofsted briefing? I think this is maybe a misinterpretation of something as there has been nothing from Ofsted that I know of to say this.

Cx

My GLD is 70% - about 10% less than I usually get. Just a couple of thoughts though - this year I have a VERY able cohort - also - 19 girls and 11 boys!! In the 'pilot' the pupils were taught using the old EYFS eg in maths no's to 10 etc but then assessed on the new EY profile eg numbers to 20/ doubling and halving. It seems to me it's a bit like teaching German and then assessing French?! Taking this into account I think it's inevitable that the pilot would have had a lower GLD than perhaps schools who have taught the new EYFS may find. Time will tell! Why is nothing in FS ever simple? :(

It was at the Early Years Network Meeting for EYFS Leaders and Headteachers delivered by the Local Authority.

J x

Was this an Ofsted briefing? I think this is maybe a misinterpretation of something as there has been nothing from Ofsted that I know of to say this.

Cx

It was at the Early Years Network Meeting for EYFS Leaders and Headteachers delivered by the Local Authority.

J x

Thanks for the reply. I'm not doubting this was said, more that this sounds like the LA have misinterpreted something as I have got no idea where this would come from and as an LA EYFS officer (and EYFSP lead) I haven't heard this at all!!!

Did they give you the source of this - reference or Ofsted document reference etc.

The Ofsted guidance for on entry judgements gives 80% as the range they would expect for saying most children come in at age related expectation, but Ofsted do not set targets in this way - it just isn't their remit. So unless I have really missed something I am not convinced this is the case!! The DfE website FAQ about Ofsted just directs you to the subsidiary guidance which doesn't say that at all! It's all about on entry data.

Cx

Edited by catma

Was there something about 80% being expected to achieve the 'old' GLD with the previous profile in order to be judged 'good' in Ofsted terms? For some reason it's ringing bells with me and have vague recollections of conversations with my head about it. I'm wondering if it's a bit of something that hasn't got updated with the revised EYFS? I'm going to go and have a look through my file to see if I can find the quote I'm thinking of...

Was there something about 80% being expected to achieve the 'old' GLD with the previous profile in order to be judged 'good' in Ofsted terms? For some reason it's ringing bells with me and have vague recollections of conversations with my head about it. I'm wondering if it's a bit of something that hasn't got updated with the revised EYFS? I'm going to go and have a look through my file to see if I can find the quote I'm thinking of...

No there wasn't anything specific. The national was 60 something% anyway! (exact no escapes me after a month recuperating!)

The only reference I have ever known to 80% is in the subsidiary guidance for section 5 inspections and is about having 80%+ of children at age related expectations to be able to say the cohort are at expectations, but this is about describing on entry for the purposes of SEFs and inspection, not a target or expectation from Ofsted. It is just using their descriptive percentages.

Cx

That was it - thank you! I couldn't find my piece of paper - I know it was photocopied on to yellow! ;) but as soon as you said 'subsidiary guidance' I remembered. Good job I'm not in charge of anything important!

• 2 months later...

Well imagine how I feel being held to account for an entire LA!!! You just can't go there...fortunately I have the backing of the data team who get it, but I'm sure there will be questions asked, whatever we get!!

But the EYFSP isn't, nor ever has been a progress measure. It doesn't define the progress children have made but from secure on entry data you can demonstrate your effectiveness. They may look very different.

Some questions I might ask myself are:

Are there areas in which we have done particularly well? What did we do that made the difference?

What did we do less well in? Why? What will we learn from this to do differently next year?

Have I less children below age related expectations/GLD now than when I started teaching them?

Are more children from vulnerable groups at age related expectations/GLD than at the start?

Have the things I have focused on in my development plan impacted positively on overall outcomes?

Have my interventions been effective?

Then I would have the contextual information to discuss not only attainment but progress and overall achievement. The former may not be high but the latter will tell you a lot about the effectiveness and overall achievement which may be good or better.

Until we know what the national outcome is it's all a bit moot - don't fret about things which haven't happened yet!!!

Cx

Catma, do you now when the national outcome will be announced? I have a governors meeting this week to look at progress and attainment acorss the school. I am using some of your suggestions as good questions to ask!! I have the pilot figure but am not sure this helps as the variation on here and the TES site is quite vast!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)