Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Recommendations

My favourite author is Christopher Brookmyre. His books are not girlie books at all. He writes in a really modern style about things like organised crime, etc. The first few chapters never seem to have any connection with one another - and then further on in his books they all seem to come together.

They're BRILLIANT. The only thing is I've read them all now, and am waiting for him to write the next one.

Ben Elton is great too.

My favourite is Martina Cole at the moment. Only trouble is, they are a bit samey but if you like all that criminal underworld stuff, then her books are really good.

Another book that I would recommend was one my college tutor recommended to me when I was struggling with my child development unit. It's called 'Dibs in Search of Self' and although it is quite sad in places, it had me hooked.

Edited by Clare

I wanted a nice easy read so got the new Marian Keyes 'Anybody Out There' it made me laugh out loud, also made me cry ! Now am just starting Bob Geldof on Africa

"The kite runner" by Khaled Hosseini is a wonderul book and worth reading.

Now on "The book of Dave" by Wil Self.

Anyone out there read any Jasper Fforde???

Curiously the book by Torey Haydon (I always want to call her Torrey Canyon - if you get that reference you're as old as me and probably grew up in the south west but anyway I digress) one child was published years ago and has only just been re published in the wave of "confessional" books and difficult childhood books that are prevalent. I read it when I was about 10 I think in a readers digest condensed book version, in fact I still have it because it made such an impact on me. Was one of the things that pushed me towards education I think.

Guest MaryEMac

I've just finished 'The Hard Way' by Lee Child. It's a Jack Reacher thriller about kidnapping and mercenaries. It begins in New York and finishes in Norfolk (uk). I couldn't put it down, its fast moving and exciting and nothing to do with pre-schoolers!!

Mary

I wanted a nice easy read so got the new Marian Keyes 'Anybody Out There' it made me laugh out loud, also made me cry ! Now am just starting Bob Geldof on Africa

I've read all the Marian Keyes books and I agree, they are nice and easy! Jenny Colgan is another one for easy to read chick lit, as is Belinda Jones.

James Patterson books are aslo good, especially the Alex Cross stories. The chapters are really small, so that there are sometimes 100+ chapters in the books but I found this was good because I have to read chapter to chapter, I can't stop halfway through, so these are good if you're falling asleep after a long day, but are like me and can't sleep without a bit of a read! I would recommend 'Kiss the Girls'. Had me hooked!

My other half bought the Richard Branson autobiography for his Mum one Christmas, but she didn't like it, so I kept it and read it. It was pretty good actually. Nothing like I would normally read. I'm not really into autobiographies.

Not really into autobiographies or biographies.

I mostly read fiction.

Have you read Angela's Ashes, 'Tis and Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. Great reads. Books are based on his life growing up in Ireland and moving to America.

Also really enjoy Primo Levi - books such as If This is a Man, The Truce, If Not Now, When?, Moments of reprieve, and The Periodic Table - many, not all, of his books are based on his life and time in Auschwitz. Sadly he died in 1987.

Ah Sue - I wondered if you might know what I was going on about!!!! Years spent going to the beach with Tar removing products as a staple item...those were the days.

Jodie Picoult is another good holiday read - I particularly like "my sister's keeper" but they're all good, if a little formulaic sometimes - she seems to knock out about 3 a year!!!

Cx

LoL - NOT!!! Once (as a 'nipper') went to Prestatyn (not sure of the geographical references, but pollution of this sort was quite widespread then, anyway!), and a beautiful beach was empty - when our family visited, we found out why!! Just underneath all that tempting low tide wet sand was thick yucky tar!!!!! Never again :o

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, just to show off how amazing I am at multi-tasking ( :o:(xD )!!

One of my favourites is 'The Last Girl' by Stephan Collishaw - I've recommended this before, but couldn't remember author's name -, then there's 'The Lovely Bones' - but I've forgotten the author's name :(, 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' - ditto, and one I've just started but am finding really hard to put down, 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' by Susanna Clarke.

Oh, and a little known trilogy by a guy called Tolkein, 'The Lord of the Rings' ( :( )

There's another thread of book recommendations somewhere on the site, if I can find it, I'll put in a link. Think it was called 'What is anyone reading?', may be in Lounge?

Sue :D

Lovely Bones is by Alice Seabold, and is such a thought provoking book, its a bit harrowing in the begining but such a wonderful read as the book progress's.

I love reading...when i get the time. I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, although i avoided this book for such a long time, always thought it was going to be a bit to intellectual for me, but it was brilliant. A real racy page turner.

Claire x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)