Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Recommendations

I need to know what you're all reading, not child related if poss. I went to the library and just couldnt face going through all the shelves so decided you clever people can do my browsing for me. I'll try anything. :D:D

I need to know what you're all reading, not child related if poss. I went to the library and just couldnt face going through all the shelves so decided you clever people can do my browsing for me. I'll try anything.  :D  :D

38739[/snapback]

Radio Times.

Maz

I went to visit friends in belguim during summer and went to Amsterdam and the Anne Frank house where I bought her diary and an information book.I have been deeply affected by this,dreaming about it etc

apart from that managed to read a few on holiday but lent them out and cant remember the titles!!! sorry,will try and remember and post

Well, just to show off how amazing I am at multi-tasking ( :o:(xD )!!

One of my favourites is 'The Last Girl' by Stephan Collishaw - I've recommended this before, but couldn't remember author's name -, then there's 'The Lovely Bones' - but I've forgotten the author's name :(, 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' - ditto, and one I've just started but am finding really hard to put down, 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' by Susanna Clarke.

Oh, and a little known trilogy by a guy called Tolkein, 'The Lord of the Rings' ( :( )

There's another thread of book recommendations somewhere on the site, if I can find it, I'll put in a link. Think it was called 'What is anyone reading?', may be in Lounge?

Sue :D

Just finished a book by Rosie Thomas Sun at midnight I think it was called. Its set in antarctica. Really enjoyed it even though i cant remember its title

Curious incident..... is a MUST!

Also got John Simpson's autobigraphy on the go (BBC News reporter) and Kenneth Williams Diaries - even if you didn't like the Carry Ons and such like, this is a very frank and sad insight into his life and the circles he moved in.

Have just bought THe Cradle of Thought - the origins of thinking by Peter Hobson,which was recommended by our advisory teachers and being very profound and useful if working with autistic spectrum children as a lot of his work is based in this field. Yet to start, but looking forward to it.

Oh, also reading about Jordan and Peter Andre's wedding in OK! (as a respite from more in depth reading mentioned above!!!)

In case you are wondering how I am fitting this in... I have just been away and get bored quickly, so have books for the plane, books for the pool etc...! :D

Guest MaryEMac
I need to know what you're all reading, not child related if poss. I went to the library and just couldnt face going through all the shelves so decided you clever people can do my browsing for me. I'll try anything.  :D  :D

38739[/snapback]

Have just read Cross Stitch and Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. It's about a woman in 1947 who visits Scotland with her husband and walks into a stone circle and finds herself in 1743 just before the second Jacobite Rebellion. The second book follows on from the first and I couldn't put them down. They are not new and were published in the early nineties.

Mary.

Hi Rea

I'm reading 'The time traveller's wife' by something Niffegger!*? think that's how you spell t.

Bit strange, man keeps going backwards and forwards in time but am kind of getting into it, will let you know when I finish.

Read Ben Elton's 'Past Mortem' over the holidays and really enjoyed it, if your an 80's child like me you will love the references to that era!!! Oh Duran Duran, who I loved you :oxD:(:(

Sue x

definately the Diana Gabaldon books I have read them all and have just found out the latest in the series was released yesterday so will be ordering it later!! Had to wait since summer 2002 for it to be written and released. Try if you can not to fall in love with Jamie Frazier!!! it isnt healthy!!

Read Ben Elton's 'Past Mortem' over the holidays and really enjoyed it, if your an 80's child like me you will love the references to that era!!! Oh Duran Duran, who I loved you  :o  xD  :(  :(

Sue x

38857[/snapback]

Her name is Rio and she's dancing on the sand....

Maz

• 6 months later...

Hi

I loved the time travellers wife - took me ages to work it out but excellent!!

Has anyone read any of Cecelia Aherns books? Have read P.S. I love you and Where Rainbows End - both made me laugh and cry simultanously!! Just about to start her latest one!

I've just finished The Time Travellers Wife. It took me a while to get into it but once in I was hooked. It is a very original book. Most enjoyable.

I'm a Tolkien fan myself the book 'tho not the films as i'm very sorry but Aragorn did not look like that at all!

Mind you Steve is the spit of Gandalf :o

Books I really enjoy are those by Tracy Chavalier- the most well known being Girl with a Pearl Earing. She writes well and they are all unput downable. i'm hoping it wont be long until her next one as it's been a while.

• 3 weeks later...

'We Need to Talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shriver - very unsettling but totally gripping. I had to fight down the feelings of panic when someone posted, somewhere else, about a five-year-old in their class who is still soiling themselves as this is a 'theme' in the book.

Hi

One of the best books i ever read was a true story about child abuse, the problem is i can't remember the title, there was two books on about his life as a child and what happens to him and one when he was older and what happens to him as an adult., and what effects the abuse has on him. Just cant remember the title. really makes you think and quite sad.......

Hi Simcity

Was the book, A child called "It" by Dave Pelzer. There are two others: "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Called Dave".

I borrowed all three from my then headteacher many years ago and can remember coming home from a weekend away on a train, reading the first one and crying! Highly recommended reading. Should be recommended reading for all trainee teachers/practitioners/social workers etc.

His brother has written a book as well about surviving abuse throughout childhood.

At the moment I am reading "All the Way Down" by Nick Hornby about four people who meet at the top of a towerblock on New Year's Eve contemplating suicide. It sounds better than that brief synopsis, I promise. Very funny, heart-warming in places.

Hi Simcity

Was the book, A child called "It" by Dave Pelzer.  There are two others:  "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Called Dave".

I borrowed all three from my then headteacher many years ago and can remember coming home from a weekend away on a train, reading the first one and crying!  Highly recommended reading.  Should be recommended reading for all trainee teachers/practitioners/social workers etc.

His brother has written a book as well about surviving abuse throughout childhood.

53979[/snapback]

Hi

Thankyou, that is what it is called, that has been really bugging me i just couldn't think what it was called.. i would also recommend it to all people who work in childcare, a great read!!!!!!!!!

I have just read Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, it was hard going at the beginning but I recommend you stick with it, it was brilliant - I was living in the story during the day, thinking of it at odd moments, that's always a good sign for me, probably not for those around me!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just bumped this one up to say a huge thank you to those of you here that recommended 'The Time Traveller's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger.

Awesome book!!! I simply couldn't put it down! It's wonderful to come across something like that so unexpectedly. Kind of like the first time you read Tolkein :o

Sue xx

HI

I just love the Torey Hayden books, i can't put them down... by far the beats was one child, and tigers child (tigers child is the follow on from one child) and also ghost girl (by Torey hayden) was a very good read.

Im currently reading another of her books called 'just another kid' and so far its not disapointed.

Dawn

• 3 months later...

Hi

Have received "Angels and Demons" and "The Da Vinci Code" for leaving presents from a friend. Does it matter which order I read them in?

Also any recommendations for books I should pick up at the airport - need three months worth of reading material (or as many as I can fit into hand luggage).

Thanks in advance.

(I like travel writing, fiction, science fiction, comic fantasy and chick lit but am open to other ideas).

Any other book recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Any books I could buy from bestseller list in WHSmith, for instance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)