Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Poor muscle strength in child

Am trying to pick your brains...

A child in class has poor muscle strength in arms. It may help to give you some examples, she finds it very difficult to push down on taps to make water come out (no strength), she also hates going on climbing frame, physically scared when up there and doesn't know how to get down. Overall she is showing up within 30-50 age band. I am beginning to worry about her...anyone out there have any suggestions how I can help her or is this a sign of any condition.

Your help would be much appreciated

Have you spoken with nursery, or her parents to see if they have or had noted a problem similar to what you are describing?

We had a child last year with poor muscle tone in her legs and Mum explained the impact of this on her child. One of the issues being that she couldn't walk far. However I can't recall if there was a specific reason for the poor muscles.

How about the school nurse, might she be able to help?

Probably someone will be a long with some impressive suggestions in a while! I just woke up!

Obviously I am not a doctor but it does sound like Hypotonia.

I would certainly have a chat with her parents to see if they have noticed any concerns at home.

Was she born prematurely by any chance.

There is lots of information online about this condition, might help you with any discussions or to rule this out.

If it is Hypotonia physio should be available to support her.

Hypotonia is very common in this age group...i have 2 children at the moment! Is it getting better or worst? if it is getting better i would be less concerned ...if it is getting worse it need checking out by a doctor. I am really surprise she is climbing as far as that if she is not confident to get down...normally children like this restrict themselves.

Talk to parents ...she may need a referral to physio but keep an eye on it ...if its getting worse it needs checking out.

My son has Autism, dyspraxia and hypermobility in his finger joints. This has meant he struggled with things like holding a pencil to make marks, picking up a glass etc. At almost 18 he can't use a tin opener, spread butter ( or marg!!) or use a knife very well.

He had support from occupational therapy via primary school and they said he had poor hip stability and low upper body strength and he had exercises to do which helped but they say as he is now is as good as it will get.

I am not sure if he ever went up a climbing frame ( and he can't ride a bike!). I think a HV or school nurse can as suggested refer to physio or OT so I would suggest that route if the parents are concerned too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)