Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swimming...do we /don't we/does anyone else ?

The school we are sited on has offered us the use of their pool one afternoon a week, which sounds fab but am worried about all the red tape that this may incur ie insurance implications (ours or theirs) lifeguards....am thinking the easiest option maybe to offer it to parents at a small charge rather us actually doing it as this would also limit the children that could benifit to the session we can use it, any advice from anyone regarding how you work it, what i need to consider would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

we used to use our school's pool once a weeka nd it was fabulous. I held a life-saving qualification at the time , so I acted as watcher, and each child had an adult with them in the water. We were incredibly fortunate to be allowed to use it. Sadly, new head teacher, new regime, so it stopped, but I'd say if you can make it work, then definately go for it.

• Like 1

I was involved with a PTA who ran an after school swimming club for the children at a local pool. It was a minefield in terms of insurance and qualifications. I had lots of conversations with the ASA about our position. In the end we decided that we couldn't afford to get pay for parent volunteers to do the necessary training and, with much regret, we closed the club.

I suggest you speak to your insurers, the school's insurers and the ASA to see if you can have all bases covered before you take this any further.

Edited by Upsy Daisy
  • Like 1

We tried to do this some time ago ( as i had 4 qualified swimming instructor parents!!) unfortunately although out insuranse company was ok about it the swimming pool management eventually decided it was too risky!! If you can get the insurance sorted (and lets face it schools take 4 year olds ) then i would go for it. What a fantastic opportunity. I feel very strongly that all children should be taught to swim asap....especially around here as we are next to a large river. I helped my children's school swimming for years.....loved it !

• Like 1

Hi, just another question, does any one swim that has the PLA insurance And know what their take on it is ? Have read policy docs but cant see swimming mentioned (or not to) anywhere, Would ask them myself if they ever answered their bl**dy phones, tried on and off for 3 days now just to be told busy and will get back to you....um still waiting :/

Edited by mouse63