Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Number 4

Re: Number 4

Just to confuse the issue. Why are the majority of resources the 'wrong' font. I can't even access the font required to show an example on here! aaaaaaah! Does anyone else know what I mean and have the same problem? If you type 4 in google images I got pictures of 4 related activity sheets, also DLTK, Under's 5 and Infant Resources are excellent site!

Tina, I know what you mean. It was actually one of the things the inspectors picked up on at my inspection. The number cards I was using with the children had the wrong number 4. These were ones I had printed off the internet and laminated (to save us money!). However, if that's the form that most children will see the number 4 why is it still taught to be written the other way? :o

However, if that's the form that most children will see the number 4 why is it still taught to be written the other way?

Absolutley Beau, did the inspector point you to a place you can get the 'proper' numeral from? :o

And why does it matter? Everyone has their own way of writing anyway so why is there only one way to write a '4'? We dont make left handed people use their right hand anymore, so long as we can all be understood, where is the problem. Seriously, I dont know what the problem is. xD

That inspector is quite unrealistic! Children need to learn to recognise numeral 4 in different types of computer fonts or your handwriting. What will happen when they find a numeral 4 that is not the type he wants? Will they recognise it? Come on!

or 1? or 9? or 3? and even 2?

Personally I think children need to be aware of all the different numeral forms just as they need to be aware of the different scripts/ fonts that they might see written or printed. Obviously in the early days the simpler and most easily represented forms are probably best.

Oops!

Forgot them  :o

Sue  xD

38795[/snapback]

First time I've done this so hope it works! You said about the fonts for numbers.Have you tried sassoon fonts? We've used it for everything including number work. The numbers can be outlined for finger tracing or put under the sand writing box, etc. The children find it really easy and it only takes 5 minutes to print off a session full. It's the font used in Jolly phonics.

Welcome Minnie and thanks for posting. :) The problem with those fonts are that you have to pay for them. Alright for a school maybe but for a poor playgroup not possible. :D I'm glad that I'm not the only one who was surprised by what my inspector said - sometimes I wonder what world they are living in. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have downloaded Sasoon Infant and Sasoon Primary free and both have the 'correct' 4! Glad to hear others have the same problem.

PS. Anyone use Incredimail for emails? - they now have a great range of teacher icons! (incredimail is free to download on the net). Cheers. Tina :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)