Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff files

Hi, can anyone confirm as to whether staff files are allowed to be taken out of the setting? I was always under the impression that this is not permitted but wondered if anyone could clarify for me???

Thank you!!

Some years ago we had an issue with a staff member possibly accessing other staff files, so committee took decision to house them off site. We had to inform Ofsted and write risk assessment to cover their storage and transport. I know it's not the same thing exactly but the reasons we were given were that Oftsed inspect without notice and we had to have access to them at all times to be able to show them. We also had to write in how we would get access to them if Ofsted did call.

I do think they need to be kept onsite, or at least on site every time you are open if not any suitable secure storage.. a locked on site cabinet with restricted access would solve other staff possibly looking at them. ...

These days more and more is put on the setting to ensure the staff are suitable and have the correct checks etc in place... and Ofsted will wasn't to check you are doing this correctly... had several inspections where they checked the files and asked questions about how we ensure staff are suitable... and one where the staff files were not on site as the chairperson insisted she wanted them at home... this was commented on in the report and that was a time when Ofsted did all the checks for all staff.

• Like 2

This is an interesting one as we have limited space too and to my knowledge staff files were always kept of site and have been for the whole time we have been open (30 years+) they are in a locked cabinet in the chair persons home but should Ofsted request them and she was at work (Monday, Tuesday) we would not be able to access them :(

Edited by Johanna1

Our La have (very helpfully) put together a list of comments from Ofsted - these taken from 79 published reports.......under 'Business management':

'Keep all records relating to information about staff identity checks and vetting processes that have been completed - (including the criminal records disclosure, reference number, the date a disclosure was obtained and details of who obtained it) - accessible and available on the premises'.

HTH :1b

Hi

Thank you everyone!! This was my first time using the forum and I wished I had done it a long time ago!! Our staff files are secure on site and only the manager and deputy can access them so after researching a little further and asking for advice I have been told that they should remain on the premises as there is a possibility of confidentiality issues if removed.

Thanks!!

• 5 weeks later...

Our La have (very helpfully) put together a list of comments from Ofsted - these taken from 79 published reports.......under 'Business management':

'Keep all records relating to information about staff identity checks and vetting processes that have been completed - (including the criminal records disclosure, reference number, the date a disclosure was obtained and details of who obtained it) - accessible and available on the premises'.

HTH :1b

What a helpful LA you have Sunnyday - is it possible to share the rest of the document or pm it?? This is on my list of things to do but as usual it keeps getting shunted further and further down the list!! :1b

(forgive my brazenness in asking - I swear there's only 22 hours in my days!)

Edited by gingerbreadman

What a helpful LA you have Sunnyday - is it possible to share the rest of the document or pm it?? This is on my list of things to do but as usual it keeps getting shunted further and further down the list!! :1b

(forgive my brazenness in asking - I swear there's only 22 hours in my days!)

Hi gingerbreadman - I would if I could find it :( not sure what I saved as or if I saved at all :blink: it wasn't as great as it sounds it was just a list of comments from Ofsted inspections.........I will have another look for it later :1b

Hi we had OFSTED check our personnel files last year, they have us the details of what was needed.

Made a form for filling for each staff member to ensure nothing gets missed.

Things like evidence seen for DBS (CRB). You then need to keep the number on CRB, date and sign to say you've seen the original (dont need to keep the original though)

Can up load form if you like

• Like 3