Tapestry

Development matters question - colours

Hi

What is the difference between the development matters in EAD 30-50 months

• explores colours and how colours can be changed

and the statement in 40-60+ months

• explores what happens when they mix colours

Sorry if this is obvious!

Just done this as an ob. The first one i applied to a child doing magnetic shapes on the board, she chose to swap colours on one of the shapes as she wanted the body of the car green and not red. The second one i applied to a child painting who decided to mix the colours with his fingers because he didnt like the colours in the pot. Hope that makes sense!

In 30 - 50 I think I would expect to see a more experiential engagement with colour and how different things will change them e.g. a child trying out different filter colours on a torch but probably more randomly. Applying this to the 40 - 60 (i.e. generally in the last year of EYFS/reception I would expect a degree of intent and purpose in the exploration and possibly a capacity to explain what they see happening/are doing.

I always try to look at the skill they are demonstrating rather than the action they are doing as the same language can describe something very different at different ages, such as enjoys books - looks very different at 2, 5 and 11 for example but the same descriptive phrase would apply.

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

yes agree with the above 30-50 months IMO is the child 'experimenting' therfore swirling colour together and being surprised by the results....whereas the older one would be deliberately mixing in order to acheive the goal....ie i want pink paint if you give me red and white then i can make some pink

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)