Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Animal Activities

Our children have shown a big interest in animals (all types including birds, wild animals and pets!). We have decided to follow this interest after the easter holidays and are going to set up a role play zoo. Has anyone got any brilliant ideas for adult led activities we could do linked to animals? My mind seems to have gone into holiday mode already!

Edited by klc106

holiday mode already, I shall have a think for you.

paper plate snakes,

black on white paper marble rolling in a square box looks a bit like zebra

talking down tubes like an elephants trunk

I remember doing a bit on camoflage where we cut round a shape ( dare I say template) like a lizard or snake or moth and then put it onto a piece of pattern the same as the one we had cut it out of to see if we could see it. I think we used wallpaper/ wrapping paper or something but the children could always do some sort of printing/mark making themselves.

:1b

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

Have you seen Zoolab? They are based in Scotland but have people around the country who will come out to your setting with a range of creatures. We had tarantula, lizard, african land snail, rabbit, millipede, maybe some other things but I've forgotten!

Not sure about cost either,maybe £40 or so. The children loved it.

Look at how animals need caring for, where they live, what they eat. Charts of animals they have at home. Bug hunts in the garden, make a wormery, ant farm or get a butterfly farm, they're brilliant, put some snails in an old fish tank and watch how they crawl up the glass.

• Like 1

Actually Zoolab costs a lot more than that now, I paid about £120 a few years ago. The children did like it, the beauty of it was it came to us, the person show casing the animals was knowledgeable (they were also her pets). Zoolab have lots of different types of experiences you could book.

Downside then - they were late, and didn't bother to communicate.

Guest rainyjaney

Tropical Inc also bring animals to setting and are really good.

Living Eggs provide eggs and incubator for a fortnight. Quite expensive but really involved families too. And at end of the fortnight, you can keep the chicks or they go back with the incubator and other equipment.

We had Zoolab last year they cost us £56.00 - they were 'in the area' and wanted to use up all the girls time I think so it was a reduced cost.

The most children really enjoyed it (some of the 2yr olds needed a bit of TLC!) BUT some of them did get very frustrated having to wait their turn for the animal to come their way - we had about 26 children in on the day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)