Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DofE Consultation re Early Years Level 3 & Teachers Standards

Dear all

Please find links to the latest consultation documents from the Department of Education.

1) Consultation on the criteria for Early Years Educator qualifications (Level 3)

https://www.educatio...ernal=no&menu=1

The deadline for this consultation is Monday 22 April 2013

2) Consultation on Teachers’ Standards (Early Years)

https://www.educatio...ernal=no&menu=1

The deadline for this consultation is Tuesday 30 April 2013

Best wishes

Sue

Admin Team

I shall look at that link later.

I feel I may need to comment, we currently have placement student due to qualify as L3 in June (at college- so end of academic year)

• They do not know what the EYFS
  • Haven't a clue what 'an observation' or how to even start one, or what/why it is used for - Was told 'do what the setting does' :o :o

If they learn what 'we do' [as a setting] where all staff are well qualified and are able to make judgement calls etc with key-children the student is not going to learn much about child development in general [i haven't explained that well- but I'm sure you know what I mean]

They are a lovely person - but I do despair that they'll be level 3, together with the proposed ratio changes :( They by-passed the L2- straight to 3, so not even any basic background experience.

Arrgghhh its a "school" version of the eyp standards and I dont like it - blooming synthetic phonics has even got into the standards! No clear emphasis on developing the characteristics of effective learning - tbh my fav bit of the eyfs. Also seems to move away from the "agent of change" idea of eyp.Partnerships with parents has been watered down in favour of assessment of attainment and measuring progress and outcomes.

I left primary teaching because I hated the constant top down pressure for target meeting and assessment why oh why do they have to push this into the early years :(

Need to respond just having problems answering their questions without ranting! I feel rather sad, again!

Edited by ForestFlo

I shall look at that link later.

I feel I may need to comment, we currently have placement student due to qualify as L3 in June (at college- so end of academic year)

• They do not know what the EYFS
  • Haven't a clue what 'an observation' or how to even start one, or what/why it is used for - Was told 'do what the setting does' :o :o

If they learn what 'we do' [as a setting] where all staff are well qualified and are able to make judgement calls etc with key-children the student is not going to learn much about child development in general [i haven't explained that well- but I'm sure you know what I mean]

They are a lovely person - but I do despair that they'll be level 3, together with the proposed ratio changes :( They by-passed the L2- straight to 3, so not even any basic background experience.

Yes, I have a level 3 due to complete this summer, although physically works hard (moving furniture etc) she isn't a level 3 practitioner...her assessor agrees with me but says she will pass due to targets put on them by their powers that be - ridiculous!

Does anyone not "pass" current NVQ3? When I did mine, the strugglers ( and there were many who were frankly hopeless) were completely spoon fed until frankly their folders were more the work of the college staff than the student. Rather devalued the qualification for all of us. No wonder there's a problem.

Yes, I have a level 3 due to complete this summer, although physically works hard (moving furniture etc) she isn't a level 3 practitioner...her assessor agrees with me but says she will pass due to targets put on them by their powers that be - ridiculous!

Yes our's works physically hard too... I find it all very worrying if I'm honest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)