Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent and child contributions to learning journeys

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how everyone is getting parent and child contributions into their learning journeys?

I have recorded children's interests, who they like to play with, what makes them happy/sad etc but i'm a little bit unsure what else to put in/do.

I often sit with my children and look at the learning journey with them. I record any remarks they make but also prompt them with

'Oh look! Do you remember when you did ...' which always provides a response thus displaying their ability to recall events and many of the DM statements in CL: Speaking.

Like DevonMaid....we involve the children with sticking in their own pics and adding their work ( though they do tend to hole punch and double sticky tape everything in site !) we have a parents page to comment and sign when they've seen them, a little boy wanted to sign the box the other day to say he'd seen his, so am thinking of adding a 'today i saw/helped" so they can record however they choose , am also trying to device a simple next steps page (as ofsted inspector said it wasnt easy to see next steps in LJ 's without going through all obs...each folder had a progress tracker to show any gaps but wasnt enough) want something that is child friendly, so that they can maybe colour in/scribble on when a step has been achieved, thinking of doing short term & long term next steps so that it doesn't take them long to achieve the shorts quite quickly and record as accomplished themselves, from home wows are stuck in and any photos that get sent in.

Hello

Tapestry has had the most affect on our parent and children's contributions. Our parents love tapestry and willingly add replies about observations and next steps - it's fantastic as parents can look at the journal at a time that suits them and parents living apart can see independently.

Our children now know we work with the iPads in setting and ask what we are writing about / or we show them the pictures we have taken. We then add their comments straight on to the observations.

We are in love with Tapestry, it has had the most amazing impact on our setting.

• Like 2

:rolleyes: Hi we also do 'wow' from home so if the children have done something new, experienced a new activity, or outing etc they share it with us to put in their child's LJ. Can I ask Helenee what is Tapestry?

we have speech bubbles in ours each term saying what the children enjoyed looking at when they looked through their learning journey. also old wows get put in when a new one gets put on the wall. if a parent says something they did at home we hand them a wow or a post-it and a pen!!! they send in photos of trips etc which go in, and sometimes send in a special toy so we take a photo and say what child told us about toy, e.g. one of mine brought in piglet from winnie the pooh, and recalled bringing it in for 'yellow' week back in september, so C+L, UW, PSED etc all came out of this. we give parents post-it to add a comment after parents' meetings, and they put comments on progress summaries. we end up writing a lot of post-its ourselves as our parents not confident in writing them, even though we say it doesn't matter what they write. we are aware of some with serious literacy issues so we have to be sensitive to this.........

We also ask for feedback from their reports and ask them to record what their children say about pre-school too...we've found we get a better response from the children when this happens otherwise we tend to get things like "i like trains!" which isn't very helpful! these are then kept as part of their learning stories

:rolleyes: Hi we also do 'wow' from home so if the children have done something new, experienced a new activity, or outing etc they share it with us to put in their child's LJ. Can I ask Helenee what is Tapestry?

Tapestry Online Learning Journals, from the imagineers at the FSF!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)