Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

outdoor play in reception

do most reception classes go out every day? winter too? am in nursery and we go out every day, and i feel sorry for my old children being cooped up. they just seem to go out for a 'run around' after assembly etc. perhaps things have changed since i was in reception a few years ago, but we went out every day too? what do you all do?

Outdoors everyday and free flow for at least part of the time would be my ideal. I know it happens in schools with FSUs, but I've yet to see it in operation in a stand alone reception class. My role is about to end and I haven't been able to implement it the way I would have liked to because of staffing, or lack of. I think I would have had to do a lot of justification for it if I had managed it, especially in this last term as there is a lot of top down pressure of getting them ready for year 1 (sigh), but I'd like to think I would have managed to justify it. Would love to hear if any stand alone reception classes do manage to operate in my ideal way.

I'm in Nursery and we're out every day, whatever the weather as long as it's safe ( ice was an issue!) Our reception has a fab outdoor area which is under used - oddly they use it more if the sun's out ( what? Cynical? Me?! ;) ) They have the staff to use it all the time, but don't!!

Guest ChunkyMan

We are have free flow in and out for 1 and half hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon come rain or shine - some of my staff can be a little reluctant but it is a non negotiable in my setting.

Cx

I definitely believe its to do with ratio and the nature of outdoor access, our outdoor space is not just straight out of the door we have to lead the childen out so I wouldnt say it could be classed as free flow in the sense its intended. The reception have a very small space out of their door where they can access continuous provision outside all of the time but it is limited as its not big enough for gross motor physical play as there just isnt the space. In an ideal world with enough staff we would all be out all of the time because our children love being outdoors.

On the subject of outdoors does anyone know of any companies or charities we could put in a bid to improve our (very shabby!!) outdoor area, ive recently had some beautiful plans drawn up to improve our space but they are just way over our budget?? thanks

Guest LornaW

Take a look at these website

http://movingsmartblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.movingsmart.co.nz/home/schools/

http://natureforkids.net/2008/06/05/containerized-kids/

Children learn indoors and out and it is my experience the more we enable them to use the outdoor the deeper their involvement and learning so I would always have both on offer!

Lorna

looks like it's mostly out for some time and not just a run around then. new head next year. hope they get onto them. evidence says many children learn MORE outside. i love being out

As a 3 form entry reception we have free flow for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon - whatever the weather! Though it is a little reduced when we come to playing in article conditions!

As a 3 form entry reception we have free flow for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon - whatever the weather! Though it is a little reduced when we come to playing in article conditions!

Suebee can i ask do the children access 'play times' with the rest of the school as well ...or is it just the hour?

We have free flow all day me and my TA take it in turns going out every day I will be outside every day between 1-3 hours of the day in snow, rain whatever the weather I've had to invest in llots of warm clothes!

Sorry for the slow reply finleysmaid - we don't have playtime with the rest of the school our outdoor area is separate so they go out there with nursery joining us for some of the time

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)